Chapter 28

Gerd stumbled on tree roots. Even with the leg Hiccup had made and months of practice with it, getting through the pathless forest in the twilight of the summer night proved difficult. Her mother had to save her from falling several times as they crossed across the island.

"You shouldn't have come," her mother whispered.

"Yes, I should. I'm too involved to stay away."

"And too stubborn. I should have confiscated your leg."

"Mom!" Gerd yelped and instantly slapped her hands on her mouth to keep quiet.

"Sorry," she whispered and looked around. "I think we're approaching the right area."

"So how are we going to find the kids?" Old Torbjorn asked.

"We don't. The dragons will find us," Gerd said and focused on listening. She wished she had Hiccup's abilities. Eventually she heard a ruffling of bushes. Toothless' head rose over a nearby rock.

"You're right about that," Hiccup said as he walked past the rock with Ivar, Fishlegs and two women Gerd had not seen before. Little dragons' heads peeked over their shoulders.

"We should probably start with some introductions," Gerd's mother said.

"Indeed," one of the unknown women responded. "I am Atali, Chieftess of the Wingmaiden tribe, protectors of the Razorwhip dragons."

"I am Minden, a warrior of the Wingmaiden tribe," the other added. Gerd's mother nodded to them and put a hand on Gerd's shoulder.

"I am Eira, a fisherman's wife and mother of Gerd."

"And a key leader for the upcoming rebellion," Atali added.

"I may have been dragged into some role like that, at least until we can free the Chief, though Gerd has organized more people than I have."

"Recent events have forced us, too, to reconsider our views on the capability of young people," Atali said.

"I can agree with that," Eira snorted.

"Mom," Gerd interrupted, "shouldn't we focus on the important stuff?"

"See," her mother said pointing at Gerd. The Wingmaidens nodded. "Anyway, we have convinced ten more people after our last message. Mister Torbjorn has assured me he has enough weapons to arm everyone who doesn't yet have their own."

"Everyone will have at least one weapon, but some better bring their own shields. I don't usually make many of those or wooden items in general so I could only make a few without being suspicious," the old blacksmith said. "If that is enough, I can't say."

"No matter how well our side is armed the enemy still has superior numbers," Ivar said, "at least as long as every warrior in the village is either on their side or locked up. We might have enough people to free them, but only if we can use the advantage of surprise."

"Yeah..." Gerd started, "that may be in danger. I ran into Heather the other day. Hiccup, she wanted to talk about you. Brought you up out of nowhere. Something about the Grimborns being obsessed about you. They may be expecting you to come back and I get the feeling Heather didn't just try to warn me out of the goodness of her heart. She's been very clear about not risking herself by challenging the Hunters. If she thinks you've come back, she might even the tell the Grimborns."

"Of course she would," Ivar muttered, squeezing his fists.

"Regardless of what she would do, if the Hunters expect us to return, they'll be on guard and searching for any hints of our presence," Fishlegs concluded. "We may not have the element of surprise we were going to rely on and even if we do it may not last for long."