Chapter 7

So as I promised yesterday, I present you with the first of May bonus chapter, book 3 chapter 7.

But first I need to address a small detail. I have published 1st of May bonus at least once or twice before, but from talking to my proofreader, it occurs to me that many readers here might not know it is a special day / don't celebrate it the same way. 

In Finland, the first of May is called vappu and internationally I have also seen labour day and mayday being used. There are some ancient historical origins from spring celebrations, and the labour theme is present with union- and left-wing political groups having marches on vappu usually (makes travelling by tram in Helsinki city centre really hard during the march fyi.)

In modern-day vappu could however be best described as a big carnival with university students having the most visible role. We are also easiest to recognise thanks to special student overalls coloured according to the field of study (actually had a tourist ask about them yesterday). Some might party a week or more and there are many traditions, pranks, vappu magazine, parties, marches, one year students from my uni even built the world's largest public sauna and of course there is the official start of vappu with the hatting of havis Amanda statue (also known as Manta. Other cities have different ceremonies but this is in the capital). During vappu people also wear their white student caps that one gets upon graduating upper secondary school. The hats go on on vappu eve/last of April at 6 pm when the statue gets its hat.

The actual first of May is the biggest picknick day of the year (especially when it isn't snowing, today was good) and if you happen to run a bar, better stock up because you are about to get business.

In case you want to see how I have celebrated in recent years, there is a video on youtube from 2015 called "KY Vappu Aftermovie 2015: Vappu, Mantan Lakitus & Ullis  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQsaKzFcWo " showing pretty much the main parties and event I've been to in recent years. I even appear on it at at least one point. Not going to tell where.

Here' a picture from today:

.

So that is why this bonus comes out on this day. Now, time to get back to the fanfiction.

proofread by 3DPhantom

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What had he agreed to do? Shield and spear weighed on Hiccup's arms as he climbed uphill through the dark village. The sun wasn't up yet. Even Toothless was yawning, and he was naturally nocturnal. Somehow he still knew to wake Hiccup at the right time. If anything, he should have been tired staying up for days with Hiccup.

'I'm already used to that. You should focus on where you point that thing,' Toothless said, nudging his head towards the spear that had dipped to the side.