Chapter 24

Hiccup put the last of his clothes into a saddlebag and tightened the rope holding it shut.

"That should be everything except the weapons," he said, picking up the spear leaning against a rock. "I probably should have kept practicing after we came here."

"Yes," Fishlegs said, "the way things are going we could use a few years more practice."

"We don't have that much time," Hiccup said. "We don't even know if Hookfang and the hatchlings have been kept in Fjoll thus far." Hiccup stared at his spear for a moment. "We can only go and see what can be done."

He strapped the spear and shield on Toothless' saddle and got onto it himself. The flock had already gathered around them, ready to go. Well, most of them had. Windshear and Shortclaw weren't there. Hiccup rubbed his forehead. He wasn't sure what to do with the grieving Nightmare. Fishlegs shared his concern.

"Who's going to carry Ivar?"

"Someone," Hiccup responded, "probably Whiplash. Let's go."

Hiccup flicked his pedal and the opening they had gathered in was covered with extended dragon wings. The entire flock took flight behind him and Toothless. As the village came in sight they stayed in the air, flying in a large circle as Toothless and Meatlug landed in front of the healers' house, except Shortclaw who landed on top of its doorframe. There was no one around waiting for them. When the door opened only Ivar stepped out. He was still a bit pale, but at least he was up and getting around on his own. That was the only positive thing Hiccup could say about him. His expression was flat and tired with bags under his eyes.

Ivar looked through the flock above them and sighed.

"At least we're finally going back," he said. "Whether it's enough or not..."

"We'll see how things are once we get there," Hiccup said, trying to reinforce his words with more confidence than he had. "The flock is prepared."

"Some are missing."

"Shortclaw has spent most of her time alone," Hiccup responded. "She is still struggling but would not stay behind. Windshear has spent her time with the Wingmaidens but she is flying this way now..." Hiccup paused as his attention moved from the boy in front of him to the approaching dragon.

"There are Wingmaidens with her, many."

He turned in the direction where the dragon and her company could already be seen. Ivar stepped closer.

"They aren't going to stop us?"

Hiccup didn't answer. Windshear didn't feel alarmed, but too many things had gone wrong for him to not worry. Toothless' eyes could distinguish both Atali and Minden at the front of the group of twenty or so warriors. Everyone in the group was armed and had some kind of bags hanging from their waists.

Atali and Minden landed in front of the younger trio. Seriousness on their faces made Hiccup tense. He looked to his sides at Fishlegs and then Ivar, whose eyes opened wider as his expression... brightened?

"Ivar?" Hiccup asked.

"Look at Minden's lips," Ivar said. "She's pretending."

Minden gave up her act and had let a smile on her face by the time Hiccup turned to face her again.

"We are coming with you," she said.

"But, I..." Hiccup started.

"Both of us," Minden added. Atali didn't share her smile, but her expression softened even as she held her hatchling from jumping on Hiccup.