Chapter 23

Sorry for the delay. Somehow this story has gotten more difficult to write with recent chapters (I hope you still like what I got done) and other things like moving have messed with what writing I have done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiccup's fingers flexed and pressed against black scales as they idly scratched back of Toothless' head. He sat next to his draconic brother leaning lazily in the comfy crook between the thick neck and -front leg. Sharpshot slept on his lap. Hiccup had stared aimlessly at the sky since their morning flight. It had been a long time since the future had last been so uncertain. Everyone around him expected him to decide what to do and he had no idea, none that didn't involve them dying. That was one concern that having his entire flock around him failed to ease.

Actually, it wasn't quite the entire flock. Windshear had not returned since she had left to see Atali days before, though Hiccup could still feel her presence. Now it was getting stronger. Toothless stirred awake and Hiccup turned his head

"Windshear is coming back," he told Fishlegs who was cooking fish for lunch nearby and then carefully lifted Sharpshot onto Toothless' back. He had enough experience to do so without waking the little dragon.

'I wonder if she has good or bad news,' Meatlug wondered as she and Fishlegs joined Hiccup and Toothless.

'She doesn't feel alarmed, maybe a bit concerned but I could say the same about everyone,' Hiccup responded and spoke to Fishlegs: "I hope she has news about Ivar."

"He survived the whole flight here. Eir would have to hate him to let him die now while in the Maiden's care," Fishlegs said.

"The gods have kicked us around so many times I believe it when I see him healthy. There she is." Hiccup pointed at an approaching razorwhip in the sky. Windshear touched down in front of them and met Hiccup's raised hand with her snout as a greeting.

'I hope you have news,' Hiccup told her.

'Not as much as I would like. Atali seems to have grown more stubborn and argues with Minden a lot. I am sorry, I haven't been able to change her mind.'

'It is not your fault,' Hiccup assured. 'She has good reasons for her choices. I am not even sure if helping us is the right thing for her. There is some other reason why you came back.'

'I think Ivar wanted me to get you. He is still very ill, but he is awake and can talk.' Windshear's thoughts exposed to Hiccup the disappointment behind them.

'Has Atali... accepted this visit?' He asked.

'She was there.'

'Okay,' Hiccup nodded and looked at Fishlegs. "It might be okay to visit Ivar."

"Might?" Fishlegs asked.

"Windshear thinks it is okay, but it sounds like things aren't going as well as we'd hope."

"It is better if we see for ourselves. Even if they are unhappy, we can't simply wait forever without knowing what they are going to do. Do you want to go right away?"

"As soon as I get Toothless' gear back on." Hiccup jogged to the rock they had left Toothless' flight gear. Toothless' motion as he followed him woke up Sharpshot.

'Nice Viking going somewhere?' The little dragon asked and jumped aside so Hiccup could put the saddle on.

'Yes, we are going to meet Ivar.'

'Other nice Viking better now?' Sharpshot jumped happily across Toothless' back. 'Can come with?'

'If you behave,' Hiccup answered as he tightened the leashes. 'Don't want to do anything that might annoy the Maidens.'