Chapter 3

Hello everyone. This is a special chapter bonus to celebrate two things. First, the new HTTYD movie should now be in theatres even in the United States (where the largest group of my readers is from). It is also a good idea to keep the story update as hopefully more people wander in to see the fanfics now. Secondly, the views counter for Another nightmare in fanfiction.net has recently passed half a million, which is very nice even if it counts views quite liberally.

Since this is a bonus chapter you can still expect the normal end of the month chapter in a few days.

My rules for spoilers and comments concerning the new movie remain in effect. They are not welcome here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiccup kneeled next to Toothless. His fingers followed the cable controlling the tailfin and retightened every strap, all of which now had some softer wool between them and scales. Toothless had tried to spare Hiccup the trouble by acting tough, claiming that the straps wouldn't be able to affect his hard scales. Naturally Hiccup made the changes anyway, and he could sense Toothless feeling the difference. Hiccup was going to get licked as soon as he finished. With all of the straps checked he rested his hand on the new pedal.

'You know, this fits my new foot, but it is going to be really difficult for anyone else to use it,' Hiccup told Toothless.

'I don't mind. I only let others use it before because you couldn't.'

Toothless was actually shaking in anticipation as he said that. They hadn't flown together since Hiccup was kidnapped. Keeping Toothless' tail still to place the prosthesis had been the most difficult part of today's preparations to change that. With everything in place Hiccup finally got up, balancing himself on two feet, and received the licking he had deserved. If there weren't so many hard and sharp things in the forge Toothless might have pinned him down for a more thorough treatment. Hiccup smiled at Haldor as he left the forge, one hand on Toothless' neck. The old man had carefully followed Hiccup's work on Toothless' flight gear, though Hiccup wasn't sure if the man was more interested in things he built or how he kept interacting with a dragon.

Fishlegs was already outside geeking out over Meatlug with Gerd while Sharpshot rolled in the snow nearby. Gerd was vigorously writing something in her notebook, balancing mostly on one leg an only holding her arm on one of the crutches. Hiccup looked down at his own new foot. He blinked as memories from that night on the ship flashed in his mind. Toothless cooed and nudged Hiccup's side with his head. As Toothless looked up their eyes met.

'I'm okay,' Hiccup told him. 'I'm okay. At least I can still walk. I didn't,' he paused. 'I could have lost much more.' Hiccup raised his head to look at Gerd and met her waiting gaze. Both of them had stopped talking and were now looking at Hiccup and Toothless. Gerd leaned towards Fishlegs, speaking quietly, but still audibly.

"So he really talks to i-... him? Was that, like, it? They were just talking?"

"Yes," Hiccup answered for Fishlegs. "It's okay if you don't believe yet."

Gerd looked up and put a finger on her chin. She stayed like that for a few seconds before answering.

"I guess I don't, though I don't see why you would be lying about it. Would explain a lot, and it isn't as crazy as some rumours I've heard."

"What kind of rumours?" Hiccup asked.

"Well, there was this one old man who swore you must be an evil dragon who has taken human form to trick us. Others think the dragons, especially him," she pointed at Toothless, "have somehow taken over your mind to use you. A few seem to think that you have found a way to simply control them with your will and everything else is just an act."