Chapter 17

Ivar took a few breaths after the door closed. He could only hear a single person's steps downstairs. Dad was probably pacing back and forth in front of the fireplace again like every time he needed to think or worry about something, as it usually was. Ivar pushed the door fully open and walked down the stairs.

"Dad?"

"Ivar...? Were you here the whole time?"

"Yes. I heard everything. It's bad isn't it?"

"Yes. They aren't only angry about being attacked." Dad looked into Ivar's eyes. "They would probably be here even if that hadn't happened as long as they knew about all we've learned from Hiccup, how it is changing the village. They see it as a threat to their business, or even their way of life. That argument might worry me most. They can use it to have other villages side with them if this becomes a larger conflict, and it might. Grimborns aren't known for backing off."

"So, what are we going to do?"

"You," dad put his hand on Ivar's shoulder, "will stay out of sight. These people have already shown they are willing to do anything to others when it suits them. I don't want a repeat of the last autumn with my own son."

"I think you should be more worried for Hakon. He has already been talking against you and it sounded like he supports the Grimborns."

"I know what is going on. It is not a good time to face division... but he is still family and loyal to the village. I know you two haven't had the best relationship," dad sure knew how to understate things, "but the Hunters are a bigger problem right now."

"I hope you're right. Should I hide from mom too?"

"Wouldn't recommend that. It would only make things worse later. Try not to cause her any more stress right now."

"I'll try," Ivar responded. He stood still for a moment before slowly walking to the door. He left his father to carry the weight of the village on his shoulders. Ivar could only carry the guilt of not being able to help. He could only go back to the healers' house and try to keep his mother happy... or at least less angry than she already was. That was what he was going to do, at least until he passed a point with a good view of the harbour far below and stopped.

He simply stood there staring down for a long time. The Hunter ships towered over anything else that floated and rose above many buildings that would otherwise have blocked Ivar's view of them. They could have done so many things other than hunting dragons.

How many warriors could be hiding under the deck of even one of those ships? Ivar gulped. Could they win if the Hunters actually attacked them?

As Ivar stood there one of the ships started moving, leaving the harbour. The sight made something grip at Ivar's insides. Sure it was good if there were less Hunters on the island, but it made no sense for them to leave now with Viggo threatening the village... unless he was plotting something. Knowing the Grimborns, anything they did was probably very bad.

He wanted to do something but didn't know what. He wanted to head out to meet Shortclaw later in the afternoon, but that was a dangerous idea, and stupid, as long as there were Hunters around. He could only hope the dragon mother wouldn't be seen flying across the ocean. If he could just warn her...

"Ivar!" Speaking of mothers. Ivar kept his head down and ran to the healers' house in front of which his mother was standing. There wasn't actually much work to do since no one had gotten hurt and everyone stayed home, but mom did his best to keep Ivar busy, even when she ran out of ideas and had him cleaning the same thing for the second time. Heather didn't need to do the same needless work and she sat close to the door, not saying anything. After all, speaking out could have caused more work for her. There was no word from anything happening outside, which was good, but still nerve wrecking. Over time mom started to pace similar to dad. She suddenly stopped and Ivar didn't dare to breath for an instant. She looked at him.