Chapter 9

The summer is in full swing and yesterday was a nice picknick on an island. Even Hiccup is finally starting to feel the warmth of spring. No worries though. I haven't forgotten you.

But first something special. We now have three tiny monstrous nightmare babies who need names. All readers can propose names and best ones might end up in the story.

In making suggestions, remember how the dragon names work in this fic. In Stormfly's words: "And you claimed to know dragons. Vikings use simple words to call something. Dragon's name is literally the thought of who that dragon is." The names used in the story are how Hiccup has represented those thoughts of the dragon as a word, usually reflecting some aspect of the dragon, like Stormfly liking to fly in storm or Shortclaw having short claws. Since there is only limited description for the hatchlings so far you have some leeway. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the warming weather of spring, wet slush was all that was left of the winter's snow on the training field. It splashed around Hiccup as he jumped back, avoiding the sword of a slightly larger boy. He was already sweaty from the long training session, but he wouldn't let it distract him. His opponent used a sword so even with shorter arms, Hiccup had the reach advantage. He side-stepped. He has started doing that after trying combat training while bonded. His spear arm swung forward, the weapon feeling much lighter than when he first started training during the winter.

He pulled the spear back when it was obvious the strike was going to connect. Hiccup's opponent let his shield slip to the side when attacking. He had had issues with that too, among other things. Now though, he was glad to have won the match, and all on his own. The back end of the spear sunk a bit on the wet ground when Hiccup held it upright. Manning, the old warrior responsible for training them came closer.

"Well done kid," he told Hiccup before looking at the other boy. "Didn't I tell you to watch the shield?"

"Yes..." The boy looked at his feet.

"Then practice that strike and watch the shield. Hundred times should be enough." The boy's face dropped, and he walked away for his ordered training. The old warrior glanced at Toothless and then focused on Hiccup. "Make sure to continue training even after you leave on your little adventure. You fighting skills are unrecognizable from what they were when you first started training, but there is still a long way to go."

"Don't praise him too much old man. He's only fought other kids," a young warrior commented from outside the training group. He seemed familiar. It wasn't the first time he had passed by the training group, and... had he been at the Chief's house after Hiccup had been rescued the previous year?

"Don't disrupt my training session unless you are offering your help Gunnar."

"I'm not... Well, I guess if the dragon attacked me, that would prove the insanity of what he's been doing."

"And what does it prove when he doesn't?" Hiccup asked. The young man huffed at his question.

"'When' you say. Was that a challenge?" Gunnar said and pulled out an axe that had previously been hanging from his back. 'I A great choice of words I picked,' Hiccup thought. He wanted to hit his head against the closest wall or would have if he hadn't been so focused on the axe. His hands shook and he struggled to not show his anxiety in other ways. He thought he had already gotten over it... Cursed that Gunnar. Hiccup didn't want to keep feeling this terror.

Toothless grunted behind Hiccup, but his thoughts that reached Hiccup's were restrained, anger being overcome by worry. Toothless started restoring their bond himself while Hiccup was still frozen in place.