Chapter 12

Atali didn't answer Hiccup immediately. She didn't show any more hostility, but seemed to measure Hiccup with her eyes. Toothless grunted, snapping her back to the moment.

"I am Atali, the Chief of the Wingmaiden tribe... You are younger than I thought." She glanced at Fishlegs. "Both of you. What brings you to our distant island alone? Such a long journey is dangerous for children."

"We aren't alone," Hiccup gestured towards the Flock with one hand. "We travel with the danger," he lowered his hand to gesture towards Toothless.

"I see," Atali responded, clearly uncertain how she should react. Her focus moved past Hiccup to Toothless. Her face didn't reveal whether she knew of the Night Fury's reputation, or if she even recognized the dragon. Even in Berk no one had ever seen Toothless before Hiccup.

"He is only dangerous to those who threaten us. People like to tell horror stories about the Night Fury," Atali's eyes widened when Hiccup said those words, "but they have no idea of how loving and protective he can be."

Atali swallowed, but quickly composed herself. She hadn't taken a single step back, unlike her warriors, and still stood straight above Hiccup.

"I think there is a lot you need to explain. You two are welcome to our village until we have heard your story. The adult dragons will need to stay outside the village."

"Others can do that, but where I go Toothless goes, where he can't go, I don't go... Also one Terror, probably."

Atali's gaze hardened, but Hiccup answered it unfazed, one hand on Toothless' neck, who was standing just as firm with his eyes slightly narrowed at the Chief. Atali blinked first.

"Very well."

"Are you sure that is wise?" The other unmasked woman asked. She was the only one still holding her spear like she was about to use it. Even when staring at Atali Toothless had never stopped listening to the her every move.

"I cannot be certain Minden, but we should at least hear them," Atali said. "There is something between this boy and the dragon. You should see it too if you look closely. I feel separating them would be like forcibly taking a Razorwhip hatchling from its maiden before the time. Naturally we will have guards around." She glanced at Hiccup.

"That will be okay," Hiccup answered. He was now casually scratching behind Toothless' ears, helping the dragon relax after the tense meeting.

"Then you should follow us. She is also welcome." Atali brushed Windshear's cheek and walked past them to the cliff's edge... Which she casually walked over. She disappeared for a moment before the hatchling spread her wings and brought them back up. Atali petted the hatchling's head over her shoulder as Hiccup watched.

'Never thought I'd meet people like them,' he told Toothless quietly.

'No need for dragon lessons here.' Toothless crouched to let Hiccup back on the saddle. He jumped off the ground with their entire flock rising up next to them. Atali's warriors, including the woman she called Minden, gathered around her. They disappeared behind the cliffside and Toothless glided after them. All activity in the village ended as the Flock of dragons approached. Many of the houses stood on elevated platforms and their inhabitants didn't hesitate to stand on the edges, their eyes following the approaching group.

The Flock landed within sight of the village, but Toothless, Meatlug and Windshear followed Atali to one of the elevated houses, with an unusual circular design. The Gronckle turned away once Fishlegs had gotten off her back. Sharpshot caught up just as Hiccup was stepping through the door and landed on his shoulders hard enough to make Hiccup stumble inside.