Chapter 15

Hello and happy new year. The first islands in the pacific have already crossed to the other decade so it is time to release this new year's chapter. (Actually I wanted to give it to you as a Christmas gift, but things happened. I hope this longish chapter is enough to compensate for the delay.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiccup sat up on the saddle, barely able to keep his eyes open against the wind as he watched the sun rising to a new day. Even sunrises had seemed brighter recently, and Hiccup had slept well enough to wake up and see quite a few of them despite how early it happened in summer. Everyone but him and Toothless were still sleeping far below and behind them. Then again, none of them had as much energy to burn for an early morning flight as Toothless. Hiccup just tried to enjoy every moment of each peaceful day.

The Wingmaidens might have had their doubts, and quirks of tradition, but not a single person had even looked at Hiccup and Toothless, or anyone in their flock, with actual hostility since the day they arrived. It was so relaxing after Fjoll and especially Berk. Hiccup leaned forward and held onto Toothless' neck just in time as the dragon took them into a steep dive towards the waves below. They spun around so when Toothless pulled up from the dive they were heading back towards the Wingmaidens' island. Toothless caught a mouthful of fish on the way.

They landed back next to a small hut a bit outside the Wingmaidens' village. Allowing men to live in the village would have been blatantly against their tradition, but apparently allowing visits from someone staying temporarily outside the village itself was okay. Fishlegs had just stepped out of the hut with Meatlug as the two brothers landed. Sharpshot was still asleep on Meatlug's back. Other dragons were laying around the hut or stretching, having just gotten up. Stormfly and Brightscale were bickering about something.

'Good morning everyone,' Hiccup declared as he slid down from the saddle. "How was the night?" He asked Fishlegs. The larger boy and Sharpshot both yawned.

"Too short. I stayed up late writing down what we learned from Atali about Razorwhips and their relationship with the Wingmaidens."

"Of course," Hiccup said with a smile and caught Sharpshot as the little dragon decided to fly straight at him.

'Why Viking brother and Night Fury brother wake so early. Bulky wing too small to sleep under.' Sharpshot quickly ran out of complaints as Hiccup started scratching his head and back on a spot between his wings. Toothless dropped his haul of fish and pulled a small one to the top. Sharpshot jumped on the pile as soon as Hiccup's fingers stopped for a moment. He couldn't help but chuckle a little as the Terror dove in and practically swam through the pile.

'Terrors act a lot like hatchlings,' Whiplash commented from nearby. 'They might be simple, but sometimes I think that is a blessing.'

Hiccup looked into the empty air for a moment and sighed. He left Sharpshot to eat and turned towards the Changewing.

'You want to talk about what's on your mind? I'm not going to intrude in your mind, but I can feel your sadness any time someone mentions hatchlings.' Whiplash looked at him. 'I've been hoping you'd trust us to share what happened,' Hiccup added.

'You found me from a hunter ship. They caught me on that ship when... when I tried to save my hatchlings and mate.'

'Hunters have them?' Hiccup asked.

'There was a fight. They died.' Whiplash laid down on the ground and rested his head. Hiccup kneeled next to him and after a moment of hesitation placed his palm on Whiplash's snout. Other members of the flock had moved closer by them. Even Sharpshot had climbed away from the fish and onto Toothless' head. Fishlegs was left outside the conversation but seemed to understand enough of what was going on. Whiplash took a moment to react to Hiccup's gesture and raise his eyes.