Chapter 1: New Meetings

"Hey, isn't that the famous B-cuber?" Someone whispers.

"Yes, yes! She is even more beautiful in person than on the screen!"

"I know, right? I wish I was as beautiful as her."

"I love all her videos. She's great!"

Rebecca didn't even need to look to know that those people were talking about her.

It had been always like this ever since she started to gather lots of views and subscribers on her channel. In the end, she became so used to it that didn't even look at them.

She entered the canteen, her boots making a tap-tap sound on the ground. She chose her food and looked around the division until her eyes landed on a certain blue-haired girl.

"Hi, Labilia." Rebecca greets as she sits in front of her. The other girl was on the phone and when Rebecca arrived, she looked up for a moment before placing her phone at her side.

"Hi, Becky.I was editing my next video. It's great! Once it's ready, you will be the first one to watch it!" She says.

"I'm sure it's awesome." Rebecca says as she starts eating her salad.

"It is." Labilia agrees as she eats just a piece of fruit.

"Are you just going to eat that?" Rebecca asks with a raising eyebrow.

"Yes. I'm on a diet system and I can't exaggerate on the food I eat."

"But that's way too radical. Are you not hungry?"

It was Labilia's turn to raise an eyebrow. "Why are you so surprised? Famous people like us must be on their best all the time and give an example to our followers. Even just a tiny amount of fat can be enough to disgrace our image."

Rebecca looks at her salad. She already thought that even that was not enough for a lunch, but she had decided long ago to follow Labilia's advices.

"You are not fat." Rebecca murmurs.

Labilia turns her attention back to her phone. "Thank you but I do prefer to prevent."

The air between them went silent. It wasn't new. Usually, Labilia at lunch would be working on her videos and Rebecca would just be alone with her thoughts and see her work.

They were both famous B-cubers with thousands of views on their videos. They started their channels on the same day 5 years ago, just for fun. But when their videos started getting popular, their fame just increased exponentially with them noticing it.

Before they knew it, everyone knew them.

They help each other, make brainstorms for their videos and often collabs.

Rebecca considered her as her best friend. Even though Labilia was sometimes rather superficial and harsh, Rebecca knew she had a good heart and cared for her and that's why she remained her friend.

Everyone has flaws, after all.

"Hey, are you doing anything this afternoon?" Rebecca asks as she starts to eat.

Labilia glances at her before looking back to the screen. "I have to study. My mother is nagging me to have better grades."

"You need to focus on school too, Labilia." Rebecca says softly.

The girl nods lightly, as if the matter wasn't very important. "What I need to focus is on my channel. This is the most important to me."

Rebecca figures it wasn't worth the talk so she grows silent. After a few minutes, she gets up, having eaten.

"I'll go outside."

"I'll go with you." Labilia says, getting up. "I have to meet a teacher before I go home."

And so the two walked outside, attracting many eyes and whispers; then they went their separate ways. Rebecca went the back of one of the gymnasiums and sat, leaning her head against the wall.

Then, not before looking around to make sure no one was looking, she took out her contact lenses and put on her glasses. A book followed and then she made herself comfortable to immerse in that world.

She was so absorbed in the book that she didn't hear the footsteps until they were very near.

She quickly put her glasses and book on her bag but didn't had time to put on her lens.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't know someone was here." A male voice says. Rebecca only saw a blur of black and didn't recognize the voice; she tried not to squint her eyes to see better.

"A-Ah, I was just about to go." Rebecca reaches for her bag and gets up, trying to not to sound as if she was unable to see anything 10 cm from her.

"I didn't mean to make you go." The boy says as Rebecca walks past him.

"Oh," Rebecca says cheerfully. "Don't worry about that-" The girl trips and in a second, she feels herself losing balance and falling until a strong arm grabs her by the waist.

"Are you okay?" The boys asks, sounding worried.

Rebecca looks up and gets a good look at his eyes. She wondered how that was possible until she realized they were very close, her face almost touching his.

She quickly pulled away, and said, bowing a bit, as she tried to control her blush: "Thank you! I'm fine, yes, no need to worry."

The boy looked as if he was cocking his head to study her, and she started to get uncomfortable since she couldn't see well.

"Well, I'll be going now then. Thank you again." She says, going away as fast as she could, but being careful as to not to look as if she was running away.

The boy turned a bit as he watched her going away and then went back to his walk, a curious expression plastered on his face.

*

All meetings cause new doors with new experiences inside to be opened.

It's amazing how a complete stranger can become a friend, a confident, a lover.

Every meeting has their own consequences. Every action will develop a new series of events which will affect our lives in ways we never imagined.

Rebecca would soon learn how truth this words were.

Ah, it feels good to be back :)

Just warning that this book will deal with issues such as body image, expectations, and all that type of stuff. It won't be the main focus (obviously) but it will be important for the story's progression. Just wanted to leave the warning here now.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! The next one will probably be uploaded in a few days, and then the updates will be weekly!

Xau!