Chapter 17: Lies

They were sitting on a bench while watching the sea. Rebecca leaned on Shiki, and he was running this thumb over her smooth hand, both of them wearing serene expressions.

"What did you speak to Labilia about?" Rebecca whispers. "I know you said it was embarrassing but... now I want to know."

Shiki glances at her. "I thanked her."

"Thanked her?"

She felt him nodding against her. "If she hadn't had the idea of the deal, you and I... We would have never really met each other. She was the one to cause all this and I'm so happy she did. Because I got to know a wonderful girl."

Rebecca looks up to him, her blue eyes big and surprised. Shiki blushed with her expression and looked away.

"See? It is embarrassing to say it aloud to you!"

Rebecca smiles as she places a hand on his cheek, turning his face to her. She gives a small kiss on his nose.

"I liked to hear. I'm truly happy you feel that way, Shiki, because... I feel it too."

She feels in her hand his muscles flexing to a smile (it was if he was always smiling) and he leans on her hand.

"I never had told anyone before what I told you." He admits, staring into her eyes.

"It took cou...rage." The last words trailed of as Rebecca felt a sting of guilt in her stomach.

As she looked at Shiki, a dark thought crept to her mind. He had been so honest about himself, so brave in telling her his past and fears and mistakes. He had opened his heart to her. And what Rebecca had done in return? She listened it all without saying anything about her other self. The self no one knew about apart from her parents. She had even kissed him while knowing she wasn't being honest with him in return.

I'm such an hypocrite. And a terrible person. How could I do this to him?

Shiki was watching her with such a tender gaze that she felt she might burst in tears from the lies she had told him.

Well, I'm not lying... I'm just omitting.

But even so, those were weak excuses and Rebecca felt nauseous for thinking about them.

"Is everything all right?" Shiki asks, noticing the change in Rebecca's expression. He takes her hand away, holding it between them both.

"E-Eh? Y-Yes, it is." Rebecca quickly says, pushing down her remorse. "I was just thinking about everything that has happened so far."

"It's surprising how much has happened in a month, isn't it?"

Rebecca nods, not really wanting to talk. She felt as if Shiki would be able to immediately tell what was going on if he heard her voice.

"You look cute when you smile, but you also look cute when you're not. Strange."

Rebecca jumps a bit in her seat, surprised by his sudden comment, and blushes as she moves her eyes to him.

He was grinning. "When you're blushing it's the cutest."

"S-Stop it." She says weakly. But in truth, she kinda liked the feeling she would get whenever Shiki flirted with her.

"Hmm?" Shiki leans in, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "But it's my luck for having such a cute girlfriend." Shiki places a soft kiss in her forehead.

"That always make cute expressions." He gives Rebecca a peck on a cheek.

She was sure her cheeks were very hot and red. "And that makes me feel the happiest."