Chapter 16: When Fake Becomes Reality

"It's difficult to be yourself in a world that constantly tells you what you should be like, how you should look." He says, his gaze never leaving her. "But when you have good people around you... Then it isn't that difficult."

He turns, making Rebecca face him. He grabs both her hands, his eyes intense. The B-cuber felt as if her heart could explode at any minute.

"I feel that way with you too, Rebecca. I don't have to pretend, I don't need to be someone I'm not. I can say what I honestly think, what I honestly... feel."

Slowly, as if he was uncertain, he reached his hand up to cup her cheek. Rebecca freezes, not knowing what was happening.

"I never expected to get along so well with you, Rebecca." Shiki whispers, as if afraid that if he spoke any louder, the moment would shatter. "I never expected to appreciate your company so much. To be honest, when I thought that our deal was soon to be over... I got sad. Sad because I didn't want things to go back to the way they were before, with us not talking to each other."

Rebecca's heartbeat hammered in her ears, almost engulfing his words. Was she hearing it right? He had had the same feelings as her about the ending of the deal?

"Me neither." She murmurs, but she wasn't sure if he had heard her.

"I feel at ease with you, Rebecca. I feel happy. And I... I don't us to..." Shiki pauses, considering his words.

Rebecca looks up, her eyes big and expectant. "I don't us to remain as friends. Because... I like you, Rebecca. I really do."

Here they were. The words she didn't know she needed to hear. The words she had fantasized over and over, each sounding magical and tender.

Hearing them in real life surpassed it all. And his expression as well; his eyes were firm yet kind, a nervous smile on his lips, pink on his cheeks.

"I... I..." She knew what she wanted to say but couldn't find the words. She wanted to say them, to tell them they were on the same page.

Instead, as she gathered her courage, she pulls away her hands and snuggles her face in his chest, wrapping her arms around his torso.

Shiki's eyes go wide before he looks down at the mass of hair in his chest, slowly placing his own arms around her, each enjoying the sacred moment.

After what it felt like hours, Shiki pulls a bit away, placing a hand under Rebecca's chin, tilting it upwards.

As he leaned in, his tender eyes slowly shutting, Rebecca realized what he was about to do. Joy shot through her body as she closed her eyes as well, feeling his soft lips placing atop hers.

She had never kissed anyone before. But in her opinion, this was a good kiss.

Rebecca tilted her head as she kissed back, tightening her grip on the boy. At the same time, Shiki pressed her body to his, as if trying to close any gap between them. Heat spread throughout Rebecca, her mind suddenly calm and clear.

Their lips parted and Rebecca panted, cursing herself for not being able to hold her breath for a longer time. But when she saw Shiki's bright expression, she didn't really mind.

Shiki intertwines their fingers and raises her hand, kissing her knuckles. His eyes never left hers.

"So... are we still going to break up on two weeks?" He provokes with a wink.

Rebecca chuckles before touching their intertwined hands. "Hmm... I don't know. I'm not really convinced you know?" She smirks.

Shiki arches an eyebrow before quickly kissing her on the lips, surprising her. His mouth towers millimeters above hers, his lips brushing against hers.

"Then I guess I'll have to persuade you then." And he closes the gap once more.           

I know it's a short one, sorry!