The One With Sides to Pick

When it rains it pours. Stay thirsty like before. Don't you know that the kids aren't al-, kids aren't alright?

"

She's coughing again, but nothing comes up. It's just a loud, scary, dry cough. I don't know what to do, Grammy." Ryland spoke through the phone on the verge of tears. She looked at her younger sister who was trying to occupy their baby brother. He had been getting restless with Kayla out of commission for the past 4 days.

"Okay, honey, calm down for me. I'm on my way. In the meantime, make sure she has lots of liquids. Use the money I sent you to order a pack of Gatorade and some sipping soup from the grocery store. It'll probably beat me there." Maria spoke about as soothingly as she possibly could to her granddaughter. Making sure she understood her directions clearly and concisely.

"Okay." Ryland mumbled somewhat pathetically.

"Where is Abigail?" Maria asked over the chime of her keys.

Ryland scowled to herself, she looked over to Peyton who rolled her eyes with a shrug, "We don't know. She's been answering texts extremely slowly. She's probably with Kelley."

"Hey, Ry. I know you're mad at her but don't be disrespectful. She's still your mother."

"If she was our mother, she'd come the fuck home." Peyton mumbled from her spot on the livingroom floor.

"Hit your sister upside the head for me."

"How'd she even hear that?!"

"I'm not as old as you think, young lady."

Peyton only pouted and resumed helping Kaleb build his tower.

"Grammy?" He asked Peyton.

She hummed, "Yeah. She's on the phone with Ry. She's coming soon so you can see her then."

Kaleb nodded in response and resumed his tower building as well.

"Alright, I'm in the car now. I'll be there as soon as I can." Maria spoke.

"Ok. Please hurry. I feel like I'm her mom and not the other way around." Ryland said solemnly.

Maria sighed heavily, "I know, baby. I'm sorry. But you have to hang on and do what I said."

Ryland nodded even though her grandmother couldn't see it.

"And make sure Abigail gets her ass home or else."

"Yes, ma'am. Bye. I love you. See you soon."

"Bye, darling. Love you too."

Ryland hung up and clicked through to her text thread with Abigail.

To Krabby Abby Patty: Grammy said to get your dumbass home or else she'll beat the shit out of you.

Abigail walked through the door 20 minutes later.

"Where have you been? Mom needs an alpha that's not four years old and obsessed with legos! And if it's not mama then you're the next best thing." Peyton yelled as soon as her sister walked through the door.

"...Work?"

"Is that a question? You're such a horrible liar."

"Let me at her, Ry. I promise I'll only hurt her a lot." Abigail should have thanked her lucky stars that Kaleb started to tug on Peyton's hands to bring her attention back to him and his blocks.

"Why does it matter where I was?"

"Because you weren't here! Mom needed you and you were hanging out with Kelley probably! While I was taking care of mom and Peyton was taking care of Kaleb."

Abigail didn't speak. She just let Ryland yell.

"She's your mother too, Abby!"

"I know that. But you don't get it. It's an alpha thing."

"Youre so fucking stupid. Mom is sick because your mother is an asshole."

"She's your mother too, Ryland."

Peyton just shook her head at her older siblings. She agreed with Ryland but she just couldn't take all of the arguing. Not after listening to her parents argue as well.

She sneakily snuck out of eyesight, than grabbed for Abigail's keys. She had to get out of that godforsaken house.

~•~

"What are you doing here?" Maya asked with a blush on her cheeks. She had answered the door in a t-shirt and boxers expecting for Abigail to have forgotten her key again.

Peyton stared directly at the slightly older girl's crotch. Rolling her eyes when Maya swiped her hands in front to shield herself.

"Nice tighty-whities." Peyton said sarcastically as she pushed passed Maya and into the moderately sized apartment.

Maya swiped a pair of sweatpants conveniently from the couch and hobbled into them awkwardly.

"Again, I ask, what are you doing here?"

Peyton crossed her arms and sat on the couch. Maya sat next to her in a similar position.

"I just had to get away for a bit. I can't wait to move out."

Maya hummed and threw her arm around the back of the couch, "Sure you can. Living on your own isn't all it's cracked up to be."

"You do it."

Maya chuckled, "No I don't. I live with your sister. With the help of my parents. And on a hope and a prayer. No pun intended."

Peyton cracked a small smile before it quickly disappeared again.

"Well, it's happening soon whether any of us like it or not."

"Yeah. I think you'll enjoy college." Maya said with a hint of something else in her voice, "Just don't run off with the first alpha you see, okay?"

"Maya Solo. Why I never. Is that jealousy I hear?" Peyton scooted closer to Maya on her own accord.

"Nope. Just self preservation." Maya smirked, "Just don't want you to get over that little crush you have on me that I'm not supposed to know about so quickly. It would hurt my little heart."

Peyton leaned closer to Maya, "I don't think you have to worry about that."

Peyton captured Maya's lips in hers. The latter of whom let out a mildly surprised and embarrassing squeak.

The kiss quickly turned passionate. Peyton gripped the collar of Maya's shirt, holding it as she layed herself backwards on the couch.

Maya broke the kiss with a look of concern, "Are you sure? You're pretty much writing my name in the Death Note. Meaning your mom is going to kill me. We can back up now if you want to keep me alive. But just know, I'm very much willing to die for this."

Peyton rolled her eyes, "I'm 100% sure, you dork."

"That's Dr. Dork to you."

"You don't have a doctorate."

"Why do you think I'm in school?"

Peyton released an involuntary smile into the next kiss.

~•~

Maria arrived to a somewhat bittersweet scene.

Ryland, Kaleb, and Abigail had all fallen asleep in Kayla's bed with her.

It wasn't lost on Maria that she was missing a grandchild, but trusting that grandchild to be okay, she'd worry about that later.

Right now, it was time to rip Kelley O'Hara several new ones.