Connection

This chapter - and I warn you now - will basically be pure fluff, because we all need a little fluff now and then. And this book is mainly on the fluffier side - because I like fluff, not depressing stuff. So enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Winter watched as the dragonet fell asleep right next to Deathbringer, not moving a muscle. Deathbringer looked down and smiled softly before returning to the conversation that the friends were having.

As classes passed, and darkness slowly fell, the Dragonets of Destiny all retired to their own caves. The strangest thing to Winter was when, instead of waking the dragonet up, Deathbringer simply picked her up and carried her with him as he and Glory walked to their cave. Winter couldn't remember the last time his parents had ever carried him anywhere, if they did at all. Winter simply shook his head and went to his shared sleeping cave.

***

The next day was a day free of classes, the students being allowed to go out on hunting parties or just hang around school. Of course, Winter was stuck with the group of dragons who were in his winglet, and those who weren't.

Together, the winglet planned on sticking around campus and playing some games; such as tag or maybe hide 'n' seek. Winter followed along, it was either that, homework or spend time with the other IceWings who had been sent to JMA along with him. He chose the former and lesser of the evils.

They all met in the field below the school, setting themselves up in a circle as Firefly, being the bossy child she is, explained the rules. Out of nowhere, a SandWing came over asked to play as well. Her black eyes were bright and full of energy. Winter noted that she seemed to glance at Oak for a few moments before turning back to Firefly.

After the rules, they all split into two teams; the taggers and the runners. The taggers consited of Sahara and Cobalt, the runners being the rest of them. It wasn't until the game had already begun with the the group spreading out and flying, that Winter noticed the lone dragonet laying in the grass a small ways away. It was the same one from yesterday, the deep indigo blue offset by the lightness of her eyes.

Sapphire, he thought. At least, that's what he remembered her name being. She laid there, watching as her siblings played and danced through the sky. There was almost a longing in her gaze. Winter continued to watch, waiting to see if she would get up and join them or remain motionless on the ground, whilst being on the lookout for the current taggers, Oak and Firefly.

Then, before Sapphire had moved, a group of IceWings, his sister not among them, went over to the dragonet, cackling along the way. They stopped before her, leering down at her. "What're you doing there you little lizard, wingless are we?" Sapphire winced and looked down, but didn't make any noise or further sign that she had heard them. The IceWings continued with their jeers and remarks.

Winter was quick, intervening before it could continue any longer. "Leave her alone." The leader of the little group looked at him, and once he recognized him he wilted a little. Still, he tried, "Oh yeah, and what are you gonna do?" Winter rolled his eyes, annoyance getting the best of him. "You do realize I'm the one related to the Queen, right? I'm the one who has the connections. Not you. So, leave. Her. Alone. Understood?" The other IceWing quickly nodded, not wanting to face any consequences, and the group left.

Moving his icy gaze to the dragonet still looking at the floor, he took a small step closer to her. It was almost an instinct, a need to be closer. "Hey." Gone was his gruff, steely voice. It had been replaced with something softer. Sapphire flinched, her eyes staying pinned to the floor. Winter, against his better judgement, settled down next to her, staying far enough away where he wasn't a threat.

They sat in silence. Minutes passed. Winter slowly got more impatient and figity. "You know I'm not going to hurt you, right? I mean, if I was, wouldn't I have done it already or let those other guys do it, rather than send them away?" Sapphire's forehead scrunched in confusion, before her eyes showed that she realized he was speaking the truth. Slowly, her light eyes met his own blue ones.

Their gazes held for a few moments before they both shifted away. Winter spoke first, "Can you really not fly?" Sapphire flinched, then shook her head in shame. Winter gave an understanding nod, having realized she had never been taught, or possibly never allowed to. "Uh, well, do you- um, want me to teach you?" Sapphire's head shot up, pure hope shining on her features. The look made Winter want to smile, but he held back.

Not having recieved an answer, Winter questioned, "So...?" Sapphire nodded rapidly, her excitement showing. "Alright, c'mon. Let's go somewhere we won't be in the middle of their game, yeah?" Nervousness crept into Sapphire, she shook her head slightly, not wanting to leave her siblings. Realizing he had made her scared, he shook his head quickly, "Not far! I meant just move over to the field a bit, and out of their way. Is that okay?" Sapphire nodded, and followed him as he led the way to the other side of the field, more towards the woods.

When they reached the edge of the meadow, Winter stopped and turned to her. Sapphire was quick to stop and jumped slightly when he turned to her, not expecting it. Her eyes were wide, curiousity shining within them. "Alright, ready to fly?" Sapphire nodded, a small smile gracing her features. With that, Winter began his lesson.

"First things first, you need to be able to glide a bit, using the wind to your advantage. Let's start by using this.... rock right here! Can you climb onto it?" It took Sapphire a few tries, along with some help, to get onto the large boulder. Once she was up there, she was slightly taller than Winter. Looking to him for instruction, Sapphire made sure to be cautious of where she was standing, not wanting to slip. "Next, I want you to jump, spread your wings and catch the slight updraft. It should prevent you from falling and allow you to glide down. Ready?"

She gave a small nod, nervousness creeping in, but her desire to fly overpowering it. Slowly, and carefully, she opened her wings, and jumped. Of course, seeing as the boulder wasn't too big, it didn't have enough of an updraft to catch her wings. Instead she fell the small distance. But, instead of meeting the ground, something cold caught her. When she opened her eyes again, she was on Winter's back with his neck twisted around to look at her.

"You okay?" Sapphire nodded, wanting to try again. "Okay, let's try maybe somewhere a little higher where there might be more of an updraft." The duo moved towards the mountain more, finding a small ledge that would be high enough. Hopefully. This time, Winter stayed on the ground just in case. "Ready? Go!"

Sapphire jumped once more. This time, however, her wings caught a small updraft, but she didn't glide for long, the draft not being super long or strong. She plummeted once again. But again, Winter caught her with his wing and then she slid onto the floor. "You did it! Not for very long, but you still did it." Looking up at him, Sapphire smiled. Winter felt his pulse jump, there was just something about her smile that was just so... different. But a good different.

Shaking himself from his reverie, Winter gave her a small grin. With her, it felt easy to let go of all the rules and all the IceWing codes. "Want to try again?" She nodded, her smile staying small but so bright. He helped her onto the ledge once more, and she tried again. And every time she fell, he was there to catch her, and help her back onto the ledge.

Winter couldn't help but wonder if this would be a one time thing, that everything would go back to the way it was. Him being the cold prince and her the scared dragonet. Either way, he could still enjoy the moment while it lasted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey y'all! Hope you enjoyed that chapter! And yes, I am aware that Winter is much nicer in this, but I will probably add in some meaner scenes of him with the other dragonets, just not with Sapphire. This one literally was not meant to be this long, but I hope you guys liked it! Have a great week!