Leaving

Don't forget to leave comments and votes! Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the dragonets had left, they hurried to the hut that they shared with their parents. Running around madly, as though they were chickens. Oak was quick to huddle all of his most valuable possessions together while his sister ransacked her own. Oak was usually the more reserved one, who loved to write stories and read. He found scrolls better company than other dragons his age and got along well with Starflight.

Firefly, on the other talon, loved to paint. She expressed herself through her artwork, but was still more social than Oak. Firefly was the bubbly dragonet who had a deadly side if you made her angry. Deathbringer had taught both of his dragonets well. Being the younger of the two, she was the princess of the family - that, and the entire rainforest. And Firefly knew it.

She could be totally humble about her art, but when it came to asserting her authority, she would do it with a smug-face that would make her father proud. Oak, however, would rather stand in the background and watch than be the center of attention.

Their parents walked in after the duo had began gathering their respective hobby items. Oak gathered blank scrolls and ink, while Firefly haphazardly stacked wooden slates and paints made from different colored fruits. While Oak's pile was neat, Firefly's was messy. One of the main differences between the siblings, was the way they kept order. Oak was tidy and clean, Firefly the exact opposite with chaos.

Glory gave a soft smile at their children's habits, Deathbringer grinning at them. The NightWing nudged his Queen, and she swatted him on the nose. It was playful banter that they had settled into after their wedding. They were the rainforest's favorite couple, excluding a few NightWings who still believed Deathbringer betrayed his tribe for a 'useless' RainWing.

Deathbringer cleared his throat, trying to gain the dragonets' attention. It failed. They continued their preparations with not a sign that they heard their father. Glory gave Deathbringer a smug smile, and rapped her talon on the wooden platform beneath them. Both of their heads shot up and they stared wide-eyed at their parents.

"We'll be escorting you there, along with some other RainWings and NightWings that will be joining you at the Academy. And, Deathy, they listen to me." Deathbringer rolled his eyes affectionately. "Yeah, yeah, everyone does, my Queen." Both of the dragonets made gagging motions at their parents.

"Jeez, get on with it."

***

The night passed slowly for the dragonets. They were too excited about the journey to come. When their parents came to get them, they were already awake and ready for the flight ahead. Glory sent a messenger, to have the rest of the dragonets and their parents, if they wanted to come, ready to leave.

The family flew over the main platform, where the other students were waiting. Once everyone was there, Glory spread her wings, and leapt to the air, Deathbringer shortly behind. All the dragons took that as their cue and leapt to the sky. As they flew, the dragonets prepared themselves for a new adventure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!