Leaving

Enjoy the final chapter of Secret & Promises!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time was up. Sapphire and Winter would be leaving the rainforest at midday, right after the ceremony. Sapphire's siblings had made their way from JMA just in time to see the ceremony and see them off.

It would be lying to say she wasn't nervous. She would be leaving her only home she'd ever had. Luckily, Winter was there. Along with her siblings came many of their friends, and possible significant others. Apparently, in the two weeks she'd been home, Oak had finally asked Sahara to be his girlfriend. Took him long enough that's for sure.

Firefly however, wasn't sure what to think about her sister's departure. She wasn't super close to Sapphire, but she was still her sister. But, her leaving would mean she got the throne automatically, which is what she had been preparing for her all her life. That didn't mean she was happy Sapphire was leaving, she was just conflicted that she was leaving but that she didn't have to fight for something she'd been raised to have.

Oak on the other hand, couldn't fully understand why his little sister was leaving. Again. Luckily, this time it was on her terms and no one else's. Of course, he was also slightly preoccupied with Sahara, but that didn't matter when his baby sister was leaving. And that he wasn't sure when- or if- she was ever coming back. The only thing he was sure about was that she would be doing what she needed to.

Deathbringer wasn't sure whether to be proud of her or to force her to stay. In the end, Glory picked and he was proud that his daughter was going to be doing what she felt was right. And maybe the small fact that she would be getting revenge for everything that happened to her helped. The only thing he didn't like was that she was going alone, with one dragon. Said dragon was also a male IceWing. Deathbringer wasn't sure whether he could get away with slitting his throat and hiding the body somewhere..

Glory was proud. And sad. But mostly proud. Her daughter was growing up, and was turning out wonderfully. She couldn't believe the change that she went through in the one year of returning home. The small, shy dragonet had grown into a powerful dragonness with a lethality that rivaled that of her father's. Though, she couldn't believe that she was leaving the nest and rainforest. But she was still so proud.

Winter was nervous as well, but so ready to go out and explore the world. Along with taking down Frostbite, who had done enough. That would definitely be the highlight of their adventure, the rest was just a bonus. Though, he did hope he didn't get killed by Deathbringer and Oak before they even left the rainforest.

The ceremony began with Glory announcing, "We are today to allow Princess Sapphire of the RainWings and NightWings to relinquish her claim and right to the throne, so she may leave the Rainforest with no guard or escort. Let's begin." Glory then beckoned Sapphire to her. She followed her mother's instructions.

"Do you, Sapphire of the RainWings and NightWings, wish to relinquish your claim to the throne, giving your sister Firefly all rights to the throne?"

"I do." Glory nodded. "Very well, then I hereby declare that Princess Sapphire of the RainWings and NightWings is no longer princess and heir to the throne. Although, she will always be welcome into the Rainforest and into her family." Sapphire gave a small smile at her mother. Then, the ceremony was over. Short and simple. Next was the hard part; saying goodbye to her family.

Her siblings were first. Firefly gave her a quick hug and wished her well. Oak took longer, getting teary eyed. "Stay safe, alright? And you, keep her safe, got it?" The last part was aimed at Winter who nodded sharply.

Then came her parents. Her mother was easier than her father, "Please come back? Whether to visit or anything, doesn't matter. Just please come back." Sapphire nodded, tears coming to her eyes as she hugged her mother, still feeling the warmth she felt that first time.

"Don't die, alright? And if you ever need anything, feel free to ask. And Winter, if you hurt her or let her get hurt, I will kill you, got it?"

Winter gulped, "Understood, sir." Deathbringer nodded, "I love you little one, and I always will. And like your mother said, come back sometime." Sapphire nodded, a tear trailed down her face. With that, she nodded to Winter and the two walked to the edge of the platform.

Under his breath, Winter vowed, "I will keep her safe." Sapphire smiled slightly, before looking back at her family one last time. Then, spreading her wings, she took off onto a new adventure. With Winter at her side, she was ready.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's it guys! The final chapter of Secrets & Promises! There will be an epilogue, don't worry, and then an author's note as well. Hope you enjoyed this book!