Chapter 4

"Why? Please correct me if I am wrong Miss Chi..chi.. You are the only employee here who belongs to India and your worth is already proved today. I just can't get it what my father saw in you that he appointed you without even checking your background. Unbelievable." Adam spat angrily.
Prachi glared at him folding her hands at her chest. She straightened her back to defend herself, "First of all, you, Mr, have no right to make fun of my name. If you can't pronunciate my name properly, I will suggest you to take admission in elementary section. Secondly, I may be the only person in this building right now who belongs to India but don't you dare to forget it is actually none other than me who was appointed by the owner of this company, proving my worth, much to your dismay. Yes I made a mistake today. I agree. But you have no right to judge all Indians for my mistake. Thus I advise you to think twice before speaking. And lastly for your kind information, your father might have given me the news of recruitment here but he never appointed me without my qualification. In fact, I have achieved this position with my hard work and perseverance because I was not born with gold spoon unlike someone here."
Adam was stunned for a moment. Nobody had ever dared to talk back to him like this. But then after a moment he composed himself and stood up from his previous postion. Step by step he began to come towards Prachi very slowly just like a predator towards his prey. Then he stopped just a few inch before her and spoke in a very cold, hard tone :
"How dare you to talk to me in this way? Have you forgotten the manner to speak to your boss? And what did you say? Yes I was born with gold spoon but it is my hard work and determination which led this company to the highest position of the business world today. You are a mere employee here and you have the audacity to speak to me in this manner."
Prachi suddenly felt she couldn't breathe as Adam was now standing in her personal space but nonetheless she maintained her calmness and replied back looking straight in his eyes :
"No. I have neither forgotten my manner nor would I ever forget it. But you know what? You are no more my employer. I think you have amnesia or something. Just a few minutes ago you have fired me and that's why you can't blame me. And guess what? I don't care what you did or didn't do for your company because it wasn't you who founded this company. You are actually still a employee here just like the other ones. Your father is the actual employer who is a much better person than you."
After showing the mirror at his face she was about to leave the room but just before opening the door she looks back once again and tells him firmly :
"Everyone doesn't get such opportunity ex-boss. Some of us have to try hard in order to find a job not only for our own survival but also because of our only family who is dependant on us. You have your father who can support you but in this whole world I am alone surviving with my little sister. So don't blame me if I am behaving rudely with you for snatching away my only means of survival. Have a good day."
And then she stormed out of the room leaving a gaping Adam behind. For the first time in many years someone had left him speechless. And the words that mostly stroke him hard were 'little sister'.
He knew how difficult it wass to survive in this world with a little baby who is motherless and she said her little sister was dependant on her.
Why? What happened to their father or mother?
Were they not alive anymore? Did it mean these two sisters were orphans?
Did he just snatch away the only means of survival from them?
However cruel he seemed to be, he did have a hidden heart in his chest where a little bit of softness still lied. Adam had a soft corner for little babies in his heart because he was the father of one such cutie himself.
He pressed the intercom and asked his secretary to bring the file of Prachi Dey immediately in his cabin. He just hoped that he had not done any such blunder. Otherwise Silvia would never forgive him.