Chapter 16

Unedited:

Twenty minutes had already passed but there was no sign of Adam. Prachi couldn't understand why Adam was taking so much time to freshen up. Ultimately she decided to go to his room and check upon him. Ana was sleeping peacefully. So after a little hesitation, she closed the door of Ana's room and went to Adam's. She knocked at his door a few times but decided to enter after not getting any response from the inside.
Turning the knob as she opened the door, she was immediately met with darkness and utter silence. She got confused. Where could he go at this hour of night?

'Probably in the kitchen.' Her inner thoughts decided to interrupt.

Not possible. She might not have known him for a long time, but she had known him enough to understand that he wouldn't take a single bite before hugging her daughter once.
Then where could he have gone? Strange.
Prachi was going through the corridor while thinking in her mind. Suddenly she heard some noise and it was coming from her room. She got alarmed instantly. Piyu was alone there. She didn't think twice before hurriedly going there. Entering the room, she got shocked instantly with the sight before her.
Piyu was sleeping on the bed hugging Adam tightly with her small arms while the later one was cooing her with sweet soft words taking her in his arms. Both of them were in their own peaceful world. If she didn't know better, she would have thought that these two individuals were closely related to each other.
She had never thought in her wildest dreams that she would ever meet with such a scene. But the sight brought a small smile on her face.
Sensing someone else's presence in the room, Adam looked over his shoulder and met with the surprising look of Prachi. He smiled back at her and with his gesture he made it clear that Piyu was not leaving him even in her sleep.
Prachi came forward and took her sleeping sister from Adam's hands carefully and in this process, her hands touched with Adam's. A jolt of electricity passed from her hands to her spine and she wondered whether he would have felt the same.

'Are you out of your mind, girl? Just before an hour or so he was engaged intimately with some other woman in front of you. Do you have amnesia? How could you think of it? Don't you have any self respect? Or do you want to be his another conquest? Moreover, just look at the mirror and then think, compare yourself with the pretty blonde you met today. You are not even his type. So stop day-dreaming and wake up to the reality buddy.'

Sighing in her mind, Prachi decided not to ponder over the matter anymore. Tucking Piyu in the pillows carefully, she kissed her forehead and followed Adam out of the room silently.
Once outside the room, both of them stood in an uncomfortable silence for a few minutes before Adam decided to break the silence.
"I guess I should move now. Actually Piyu seemed so vulnerable and heartbroken awakening from her nightmares when I came to this room, that I didn't have heart to leave her alone. You should take care of her. You are the only family left for her. She is too little to face the harsh realities of this world."
Prachi was shocked for the second time today. She didn't ever imagine that Adam could speak so sensibly, especially for her little sister.
Adam sensed her thoughts and chuckled.
"Come on. I am not that bad. I have a little baby and I can imagine the pain of your little sister. Moreover I heard that she is not well. So you should be more careful. By the way, what happened to her? What did the doctor say? You can trust me. And only if you are comfortable, you can share with me about anything, even your late parents. I am not a bad listener, " he spoke softly holding her one hand.
This gesture and his words touched her gravely. She could feel that her heart was melting. After a minute of hesitation, she decided to open up to him for once. She was all alone in this world with her baby sister and although she would never admit it to herself, she did need a shoulder to cry on, a hand to support.
As she opened her mouth to speak, someone interrupted them, "Hey bro, you are finally home."
.
.
.
to be continued...