one | red gates

Red gates ending in twisted sharp spikes loomed over the girl in a short bathrobe. She gritted her teeth as the gates opened with a resounding shriek. Despite the freezing air, she stomped inside with her aide.

The moon shone, illuminating the stretch of trees on her sides. The trees were at least twelve feet tall. Its dried crimson leaves carpeted the rocky uneven road to the academy. Black vines hang from the branches, long and hairy like sun-dried algae. The trunks were colossal with ridges and bumps that shaped into uncanny faces. Its roots emerged from the ground, forming crooked arches here and there.

"Are you still upset?"

Reiju glanced at the man's tall form, seeing the bruises on his face. He deserved it.

"Admiring your handiwork?" Yami asked as he paused to read the inscription on a stone pillar. "It's a sign for a bridge."

She crossed her arms as a hanging bridge came into view. A worn-out rope held the wooden slabs together. It swayed a little with Reiju's first step.

"Ojou, be careful."

Reiju scoffed as she resumed walking, ignoring the hundred feet drop below her. "I shouldn't be here!"

"Ojou-sama!" He called out when she doubled her steps that the bridge rocked precariously.

She ignored him, marching forward.

"Reiju!" Yami yelled, grasping her wrists as they reached the other end. With his huge biceps and superior strength, he was an inescapable man. "Tell me you understand!"

"I don't." Reiju glared at him. "I don't understand! My father is at the hospital and the clan is in shambles! My brother needs me and yet, I'm here!"

Yami released his hold on her. She winced at the redness on her wrist, shooting him a dirty look. "Just leave me here then! You can go!"

He let out a sigh, running a hand over his cropped hair. He shut his eyes for a second before he spoke. "Ojou, I do not doubt your abilities. And as a part of the Tenjin-gumi, I know you can help but you will always be kumicho's daughter before anything else. There's no argument here."

Reiju turned away, biting her lip to stop her tears from falling. She hated his father for his decisions. But she loathed Yami more for being loyal to her father. He was supposed to be his trusted aide.

And yet, he had laid a hand on her.

He didn't even blink as he bound her wrists and forced her into the boat.

Reiju remained quiet as they reached a gothic archway embedded on thick brick walls that enclosed the school perimeter. The piers had a skeleton carved on it while the keystone resembled a decayed hand. As if warning intruders to turn back.

"Come on." Yami marched towards a two-story building that were made up of red brick walls.

She moved to follow him when a cold wind suddenly blew that her teeth chattered. Reiju tied the robe's belt tighter to hide her nudeness underneath. She had just finished a bath when Yami burst into her room. And her fucking aide didn't even let her change before dragging her here.

Reiju swore under her breath as they entered the building. A metallic scent drifted in the air that Yami tensed beside her. They held their breath, scanning the surroundings as the lights flickered above a red door.

The smell of blood perished after a second but once again, Reiju couldn't help but think that it was another bad omen.

"Let's go." Yami stomped towards the red door. They entered and the warm air from the burning fireplace hit her. Finally.