thirty-five | blindfold

Reiju was being shaken lightly. She forced her eyes open, looking straight into a pair of golden-brown eyes. Just like that, the memories came rushing back into her.

She sat up, her head bumping into the man's chin.

They both groaned in pain.

"Aw." Reiju rubbed her forehead, glancing at him sheepishly. "Sorry."

He nodded. Rohan stepped back and sat on the side of the other bed. He seemed to struggle for words but it finally came out. "You okay? You passed out after..."

Reiju's blood ran cold. She didn't want to see what she looked like. "I'm not. I'm not okay! That tub... How many people"

"Don't go there, Reiju," he said.

"But I"

"Don't," he repeated with more force. A flicker of pain marred his face for a few seconds, causing him to press on the bandages near his ribs. "This... I didn't want you to find out..."

"Find out what?"

"That there are far worse things than death."

Reiju swallowed hard. His words felt like an epiphany, a truth of life that she had been sheltered from. "I... I know that."

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow. "If you continue down this path, there will be more things that will turn your stomach inside out. I don't want that for you. And I know your family won't want that either."

Reiju didn't reply and he watched in silence as her face fell. He sighed and handed her a fresh set of clothes. "Maybe you should take a shower first?"

"That's a good idea."

Reiju grabbed the clothes. She didn't know how she managed to shower without puking at the red-colored water that swirled down the drain. Her thoughts bounced back and forth. She wanted to do something or else she might cry.

Because the man was right.

This was the reason why her father had kept her away for years, why their family didn't live on the same roof. Her father had wanted the blindfold to stay forever.

How fucking nice was that?

Reiju turned off the shower and turned to see herself in the mirror. She was clean, pristine, beautiful, and glowing even but she felt far from that. A part of her needed a good bed and just sleep but another part of her hated to be tethered to some silly rules.

First, her dad told her that she had no part in the clan and all she had to do was to get married to a normal man.

Then, her brother, who was supposed to be her best friend, took their father's side.

The betrayal she felt was devastating. But she hid those painful feelings and she trudged forward, proving herself over and over again.

And yet, her professor was telling her the same thing. Only in different words.

No. Not again.

Reiju quickly wrapped a towel on her body and walked right out. Her heart was on fire. Resolve bolstered her confidence. "My answer is no."

Rohan turned to her, befuddled. "Answer to what?"

"That you want me to quit. Again!" she exclaimed. "I won't let that happen! I won't be bullied into doing something I do not want to do."

The man shook his head as if he couldn't accept that he was having this argument. He glared at the girl. "We already had this conversation, Reiju. You gave me your word!"

"That was before!"

"Before what?"

"Before I went swimming in a psycho's bathtub! I don't know about you but I will be having nightmares because of it! What if I can't sleep forever?"

"What? So, you're into this because you're worried you can't sleep?"

"No!" she groaned in frustration, yanking at the wet strands of her hair. "You're twisting my words! I justI want to help. Not because I want to chase trouble or that I want a good sleep. Not any of that. I want to do it because it's the right thing to do."

Rohan stood up. His jaw clenched, fury overtaking his features. "You're so unfair. You can't put me in a position like this."

"What? I'm offering my help and I'm unfair?"

"I'm the adult here! I'm responsible for you!" he declared. "Do you know what that means?" He didn't wait for her to answer as he went on to continue his diatribe. "It means that I need to trust that you'd be able to take care of yourself. Are you capable of that? Because from what I've seen so far, the answer is a huge 'no'."

"I don't know about trust but..." Reiju smirked, a smug smile tugging at the corner of her lips. "I saved you earlier, remember?"

Rohan blinked a few times. He opened his mouth for a retort before he frowned and swept his gaze over the girl's scantily clothed body. "WhatWhy are you in a towel?"

She rolled her eyes. Men.

A sermon was on the tip of her tongue when Reiju realized that the man before her was half-naked. She licked her lips at the sight of his taut muscles and his perfect abdominals. What kind of exercise does he do to get a body like that?

But then, she saw it. His wound and the large gauze that covered it.

Reiju met his eyes, shooting him her most pitiful look. "Please give me a chance, sir? I... I'll listen to you. And if I stepped out of the line, that will be it."

He wasn't convinced. "Is that so?"

"Yes!"

"Damn. You're so stubborn. I'm gonna regret this." Rohan ran a hand through his dark hair as a sigh left his lips. "Alright. I'll give you a chance. I have a condition though..."

Reiju nodded. She hoped whatever promises she would make wouldn't bite her back in the ass.

"If it gets too much, you tell me immediately," he said. "This is just a job. A hunt, to be precise. Don't let it get more personal than that."

Reiju gaped at him. She thought he'd set rules and whatnot but... he was actually worried. She couldn't help but smile. "I understand. I'll take care of myself. I won't make you worry."

"Okay. Glad we sorted that out." He breathed out. "Also..."

She waited for him to finish.

"Thank you for the save. You didn't have to do that."

"No, problem," she muttered as her smile widened. "I'm your partner now so you can count on me. At all times."

Time seemed suspended as she found his fervid gaze. Reiju wondered if she said something weird. She cleared her throat, an apology eager to be uttered. "Sorry. Is something...?"

Rohan broke the eye connection as he clicked his tongue. He turned away from her and gestured to the bathroom. "You should go change."

Hmm.