twenty-one | games

Dion had told Reiju of Irina's penchant for gambling and the chaos that would ensue. The Russian heiress didn't care much if she wins or not. She thrived in the pleasure of not knowing the outcome.

And Dion had voiced his concerns over that.

Reiju had agreed with him but she thought that this was a rare opportunity to peek into Irina's complex mind. She might find something to fight her with.

"If you can come with us, Miss."

She walked to follow the waiter when Professor Shah seized her arm. He lowered his head. "What are you doing?"

"Playing?"

His fingers dig into her skin. "Stupid and reckless are not the same thing."

Reiju clenched her jaw. "I'm not stupid."

"Because walking into a trap is such a smart idea?"

She jerked her arm with vehemence. Weeks had passed and his opinion of her never changed. Reiju had accepted her role in this school like he had told her to. She even had friends she enjoyed spending time with.

And yes, maybe she was still short-sighted at some aspects of this clan thing but fuck, she was doing her best.

Couldn't he appreciate that a little?

"Let me be, professor. I'm sure you have something better to do."

"Fine. But if you need my help—"

"I won't need it."

He sighed and placed something cold in her palms. Reiju looked down to see a key. She was confused as to what it entailed but before she could ask, the man had walk away.

Reiju hid the key in the space between her chest as they entered the courtyard again. She was met by a crowd of people in glittering masks.

A girl in a white chiffon dress stepped forward. Her silver hair shone under the moonlight as she reached out a pale hand to touch Reiju's cheek. "Brave girl."

It was Irina.

Reiju wondered how she knew it was her. She was certain it wasn't that easy to see through her disguise unless Irina had been observing since the beginning. "What do you want?"

"Me? I don't want anything," she declared, gesturing to the group behind her. "But these people, well... they want entertainment. Can you give it to them?"

Now, she realized that the mask wasn't just fun. It was also to wash off their hands from whatever would go down tonight.

Reiju shrugged. "I have time."

"Okay!" Irina's voice had that giddy lilt that Reiju was beginning to hate.

The crowd stepped back as Irina curled a finger to one of her minions. The man reached into his inside pocket and brought out a revolver.

Shit.

Irina grinned as she grabbed the gun. Another man handed her a bullet and she kissed it soundly before she inserted it into one of the chambers. She spun the cylinder and the rattling sound causedReiju's heart to hammer in fear.

"I am sure you know Russian roulette?"

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reiju tilted her chin up. Sweat rolled down from her forehead and into her mask as goosebumps rose on her skin. She had underestimated Irina's craziness. "Are we playing that?"

"Yes." Her pink lips stretched into a wide smile. "Do you want me to go first?"

"What?"

There wasn't an ounce of hesitation in her movements as she placed the gun's muzzle against her temple.