thirty-four | blood trail

The light went out. A soft swish was the only indication of the culprit's presence. Reiju couldn't see anything but the professor was different. He surged forward, pushing her back.

She could hear the metal scrape as Professor Shah groaned in pain. What the hell?

"Are you okay?" she asked when a large hand grabbed her arm and pulled her forwards. "Professor?"

They ran for almost a minute before she bumped against his back. He huffed, his breathing turning ragged. Reiju touched him, feeling the warm liquid on her hand. "You got hurt?"

"I think it was a spear but I can take it," he replied. "Go ahead, Miss Tenjin. Eleven steps, turn right, and run straight. Don't look back."

"What? You want me to leave you?"

"I'll slow you down."

Reiju knew that he was right. It was better to get help but... he came to look for her. No matter what, it wasn't right to leave him.

And yet, they would be sitting ducks like this.

I need a plan.

Reiju didn't wait for his approval and searched his pockets.

"Seriously?" he complained, clutching one of her wrists. "You want to molest me right now?"

She rolled her eyes even if they couldn't see each other's faces. "I need your lighter. You have one, right?"

"Yeah. What for?" There was a ruffle of fabric before a cold metal touched Reiju's palm.

"Tell me if he's coming. Three meters."

"What?"

"You can do it, right?"

He scoffed. "What kind of assassin I am if I get useless when it's dark?"

Reiju and Rohan leaned against the wall, holding their breaths. There wasn't any sound but Reiju's skin prickled at a sudden gust.

"He's here," Rohan whispered.

The drag of metal got louder.

"Five..."

Four.

Three.

"Now!"

Reiju flicked the lighter open and tossed it forward.

The flame was instant.

It was bright and hot accompanied by a piercing scream that echoed in the hallway.

"How did you do that?" Rohan asked.

"I'm awesome."

"Lies."

The man rolled on the floor, trying to put out the fire. Reiju tugged the professor away, running towards the exit. She huffed, navigating through the dark paths.

"We were fighting over an oil lamp earlier so..."

"I see," he said. "Well spotted."

Reiju stifled a smile as he told her to stop. She didn't know how the man kept standing despite his injury but he managed to open the file cabinet.

"Geez, so the labyrinth is under the school this whole time?"

"Seems that way."

"But why?"

"Who knows?" The man shook his head and ushered her forward. They rearranged the cabinets back, placing a much stronger barrier. "Let's hope this is the only entrance."

"I think so. He would've pursued us in the different route if there's another way out of--" She stopped, seeing him stagger on his feet. "Are you okay?"

"Fine. Let's go."

They worked hand in hand in locking up the series of doors that led to the basement. Both of them had doubts whether it could make a difference after the murders that had already occurred but for now, it would do.

"We'd come back, right?" Reiju muttered. She was cold, exhausted and her skin was crawling. What the fuck was in that tub?

"Let's deal with it later when..." He trailed off as they stepped out of the building. It was dark except for the bright full moon. "Shit."

With the added light, Reiju could see the dark liquid that soaked his white button-down.

"That's a lot of blood!" she exclaimed, fear clawing inside her chest. "You said you were fine and I thought--"

"I'm okay." Rohan cut her word off. His free hand cupped her cheek, forcing her to meet his brown eyes. "Look at me! I'm okay! You understand?"

She nodded and it was his turn to scan her. A frown appeared on his handsome features as he took her in. "What the--Where did you--"

"Lena! Right! I'm sure she's on the infirmary! We should go there!"

They slowly traveled the path towards the infirmary. Reiju bit her lip while he put pressure on his wound. His face barely showed pain but the girl felt guilty.

If it wasn't for her...

Lena met them halfway and immediately went for her patient. She threw him questions as she led him inside the building.

Reiju halted in her tracks, watching the panic on the doctor's face. This was her fault. She tried to help but she ended up making things worse. Again.

Maybe her father was right.

Maybe all she could was stay still and let all these men fight for her.

"What am I thinking?" she mumbled to herself before she trailed after them.

Reiju entered the infirmary. Everything was dark but she could hear voices to her left. Clearly, Lena hadn't bothered to switch on the lights In hopes of being covert and all that. She let out a sigh as bitterness crept into her thoughts.

There was a light coming from the gaps on the door to the far left. Reiju was about to slide the door open when she heard her name.

"Why are you with Reiju again?" Lena mumbled with exasperation "This is unlike you!"

"What did I do now?" he replied with a muffled groan. "Shit! Just fix me, please."

"Did you forget what her last name is?"

"What's that got to do with anything--Fuck! Stop doing that on purpose!"

"If you can still talk like that, then you can handle some needles!" Lena declared. There was some shuffling and the clang of metal before she spoke again. "I'm serious, you know! God, what was Yami thinking? If something happened to her... Her father will never forgive you."

What?

Reiju forced the door open. Shocked faces met her questioning gaze. "What was that about my father? Is that--"

She stopped because their stunned expressions weren't directed at her sudden entrance. Their eyes fell on her clothes, down to the floor. A gasp escaped from Lena's throat while the professor appeared thoughtful at the sight.

Blood dripped from her clothes, slowly painting the white floor with drops of red.

Reiju's heart stopped. "What the fuck?"