thirty-seven | faraway

Rohan Shah had continued talking after his alcohol-induced confession. He had talked about his childhood, his favorite book, his most hated movie, and how he loved the color red.

"Red sunsets are the prettiest. The mix of color is just perfect."

Reiju shut her eyes as she listened to him. They had finished the bottle earlier and went on to lie side by side. She had tried to shush him so many times but to no avail. He was adamant about talking. "Yeah. I know."

Silence wrapped around the pair. Reiju peered at him, wondering if he had fallen asleep. But she was met by a pair of golden eyes.

Reiju swallowed as her heart pounded. "You're not drunk?"

"Not really," he whispered and turned his head. Their faces were inches apart that she could smell the whiskey in his breath.

The girl clenched her jaw and glared at the ceiling. Was it all an act? She didn't think so. "You said you like me but you don't want to like me."

Rohan exhaled roughly. "That's not what I said."

She folded her arms. Reiju had buried his dejected words deep inside her, willing to blame the alcohol for it.

But apparently, he was aware of it.

The pain that pierced her veins woke up and slithered back to her heart. Her chest squeezed. She wanted to cry.

"So what?" she mumbled, dismissing her heartache. "I don't really care."

"Well, good. We have work to do and we can't afford to get distracted like that."

Reiju clicked her tongue. She loathed how composed he was, how simple it was for him to cut off their obvious connection. Damn him. She faced her professor, placing one of her legs over his torso. "Okay. Make sure to keep your hands to yourself."

Rohan regarded her long, pale legs, his Adam's apple moving up and down before he gently pushed her off. "You're being unfair."

"Unfair?" she scoffed and sunk into his side again. This time, she used both her arms and legs to hold on to him. Her large shirt rode up, exposing her lower extremities. "What's unfair is you putting me on a pedestal the same way my family does. My father wouldn't 'let'? What the fuck? Don't I have any say at all? What am I to you? A doll whose job is to do whatever you men want?"

"Reiju..." His voice was strained.

"But you know better, right? So whatever," she said. Reiju buried her face on his bare chest, hiding his crumbling expression. "Let's just rest tonight. Please."

Rohan sighed and his muscles relaxed. He pulled his arm, placing it on the girl's shoulders as he carded his fingers through her hair.

The serene motions of his hands were enough for Reiju's eyelids to drop. It didn't take long before sleep had taken her.

_________

"Oh my god!"

The deafening scream woke Reiju up from the best sleep she ever had. She blinked her bleary eyes and identified Lena's shocked face. "Oh, it's you?"

Lena recovered from her shock, putting her hands on her hips. "What are you two doing on the same bed?"

Her voice strangely reminded her of a mom. It made Reiju smile and Lena didn't miss that. She glared at the younger woman, eyebrows raised in question. "Do you have nothing to say, young lady?"

Reiju shrugged and burrowed her face into the man's neck. She didn't give a fuck about what Lena thought and how she obviously didn't want Rohan near his student.

"Reiju!" Lena exclaimed.

The young girl would gladly keep teasing Lena if Rohan hadn't sat up, looking guilty. He eyed his friend, one hand trying to smoothen his ruffled hair. "What?" he snapped.

Lena looked heavenwards as if asking for guidance.

Reiju rolled her eyes and took pity on the woman. She jumped from the bed and stretched her arms. She walked towards the woman and smirked. "Don't worry, doc. If something happened, I wouldn't be walking right now."

"What--what does that mean?" she mumbled as Rohan groaned in discomfort.

The girl walked past the doctor and followed the smell of food and coffee that Lena had placed on the table. She yanked a chair and started to eat while the adults argued. They joined her when they finished their fight.

"Can we meet later?" Rohan directed the question at Reiju.

She looked up. As their eyes met, their conversation slammed into her. It took all of her willpower not to hit him. Reiju forced a weak smile. "Sure. I'll wait by the admin at six."

"Wait, you two. You said the man is inside So, you'll just go in?" Lena mumbled, raising her concerns. "Reiju said it's a labyrinth. What if you get trapped or something?"

"I want to know how big the place is. If we meet the man again, then I'll kill him because I'm prepared this time. If not, we still get to do research that would help our next plan." The man explained with a matter-of-fact tone that caused Lena to roll her eyes. He continued. "They might call it 'labyrinth' but let's not get hung up on that name unless we can confirm it ourselves. Applying the same caution when facing unknown dangers is still the best way."

Lena didn't speak anymore and resumed eating a slice of the garlic bread.

"Shouldn't we find out the identity of the man before you kill him?" Reiju asked.

Rohan narrowed his eyes at her, setting his cup down. "Why?"

"Well--" Words left her. She took a deep breath and arranged her thoughts again. "You remember the difference between Huxley and Billy's death. I think we should solve who he is and where he came from."

"So, you want me to capture him?"

"I guess..." Reiju muttered. She saw the disbelief in his face. She supposed he was an expert in this field and that she should listen. But last night, she had promised she'd never get swayed again. At least, in regards to her beliefs. Her heart was another matter. "I mean... we need to be certain if---"

"Okay. We'll do that," he said, immediately shutting her up.

Lena pushed her curls back, shooting her an impressed look. Reiju shrugged it off and tidied the food containers. "I'm going. See you later."

The girl was halfway towards the door when Lena spoke. "Reiju, you forgot your pants."

"Oh, right." She played it off with a grin and put on the joggers she had discarded last night. Who could blame her? It was too hot and she hated sleeping with layers of clothes. "Glad it wasn't my underwear instead."

The woman choked on her sandwich while the professor shook his head, delight obvious in his eyes.

Reiju left them and as soon as the door closed, she heard Lena spoke. "I see why you like her."

"Yeah, well."

Reiju refused to hear anymore. Her statement should have made her ecstatic but no. The words only served as a reminder of what she couldn't have.

So near and yet, so far.