twenty | heat

Reiju disregarded the cold air that swept over her bare shoulders and headed straight to the professor's table. She went past him and hurled towards the bushes at the entrance of the labyrinth garden.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes." She stood straight and set the glass of Bloody Mary on the table he occupied. "My stomach didn't go well with the drink."

"I see," he muttered with a slight tilt of his chin.

"Can I...?" She reached out to grab the tissue holder on the table.

"Go ahead."

Reiju smiled and yanked a bunch to wipe the mess on her wet lips. "Are you waiting for someone?"

Professor Shah looked at her. His dark gaze scrutinized her covered face before he moved them to her chest. He shook his head as an answer to her previous question. "No."

"Then, why are you here?"

"To obliterate a menace."

Reiju bit her lip at his statement. She was glad that he didn't seem to recognize her but damn, he saw her that way?

Fear and a tint of excitement swirled in her stomach.

"I see. Thanks for the help." She shot him a small smile and trudged to the center.

She was just starting.

Disco music filled the air as packed bodies swayed side by side. Reiju wasted half of the night drinking and dancing with strangers. Some dared make out with her and she guessed that the hidden identity thing caused people's courage to spike. She didn't mind it so she received their advances. It was a nice way to let loose.

When she was satisfied, she maneuvered back to where the professor was.

And like she expected, the man remained on his spot as he patiently waited for his prey.

Reiju stomped towards him. "How come you're still here?"

She snatched some tissues, pressing them to her sweaty neck where some curls stuck to her skin.

He didn't reply and proceeded to observe her again. "Have fun?"

Reiju frowned, getting more tissues while he ate a chocolate truffle. "Yeah. Isn't that the point of a party?"

The professor let out a sarcastic chuckle that made her lick her lips. He shook his head and drank from his glass of vodka tonic.

"And that's funny because...?"

For the first time in forever, Reiju saw a genuine smile on his face. Her heart stopped at the sight that she had to pinch her thigh under the table and convinced herself this wasn't a dream.

"I'm starting to think that girl knows what she's talking about." He sighed and took another gulp from the vodka.

"What is it?"

He set his glass down. "You're as impertinent as my student."

She faked a gasp. "So, you're a teacher? Is that why you're glued to this table?"

He laughed and Reiju consumed the sight with bated breath. Why was he acting so carefree?

"Why does everyone keep saying that?" he mumbled. Rohan Shah faced her with a smirk. "What if I have a different idea of fun?"

Reiju swallowed, feeling parched all of a sudden. "Really? Then, why bother to come here?"

The man shrugged. "I want to prove a point. That girl... she told me I didn't give a fuck about my students. She was right. And I didn't want her to be right again with this stupid party."

She gritted her teeth, shoving her gasp of surprise. "You care about her opinion?"

"No. But it was the first time that someone figured me out. It's..." he paused, a thumb stroking his stubbled chin. "...jarring."

"So, you just wanted to win?" Reiju reached for a truffle. "How about examining your faults and working on them?"

His golden eyes bore through her, making her heart tremble. Shit. She opened her mouth to take her words back but he beat her to it. He stepped forward, his body an inch away from her. A distinct smell of jasmine and hints of wood assaulted her nose as he leaned down to whisper his next words. "Walk with me and then we can talk more."

It was an offer but all Reiju could hear was the warning in his tone, as if his invitation came straight from hell.

Professor Shah extended his arm towards her. "Shall we?"

Once again, her desires got the better of her. She curled her hand around his firm bicep as they entered the garden.

"So?" She raised an eyebrow. The music persisted in the garden though it faded as they reached the maze.

"You said that I should work on my faults?"

"Do you really want to treat every comment as an attack on you?" she mumbled. "You'll get tired. Eventually, the only thing you can do is ignore it or use it as a fuel to improve."

"That's what you do?"

Reiju nodded as he led her towards a marble bench under a green arch. The lamp post was far that light was scarce though it was enough to see each other. She let go of him as they sat. "Unless she was being mean on purpose."

"Maybe."

There was a click of a lighter and the fire temporarily lit up the area before darkness took over again. He took a drag from his cigarette, leaning forward with his elbows resting on his thighs.

Reiju observed him as the silence blanketed them. He shoved the dark strands off his forehead. "Sir?"

"It's been a while since I give a shit towards anything much less anyone." Smoke wrapped around them in thin white wisps. "Greed, envy, desire. I haven't felt them in a long time. To me, happiness is just seeing others in misery."

She listened, her fingers curling against the tops of her thighs. She wished that his words meant that he was baring his soul to her. But Reiju knew better.

He was showing her the inferno that covered his heart from any trespassers. Including her.

This wasn't a vulnerability.

This was a challenge.

Reiju reached out, placing a palm on his nape before her fingers played with his hair. "If you don't give a fuck about her views, why are you telling me about it?"

His head turned to her, eyes blazing with mischief as he took another hit from the rollup. "I don't know. Why don't you tell me?"

She moistened her lips. Was it possible he knew that it was her?

Then, why was he not stopping her?

Reiju realized that he wanted this to go on. She resisted her smile. It seemed that even someone like him was afraid of confrontation.

She moved closer to him, bringing her lips against his ear as her hand stroke his back. "Did she make you feel something?"

His breath hitched.

He stood up, putting a space between. "We should go."

Coward.

Reiju sighed and followed him out of the garden. The night had gone well but she wasn't satisfied. She didn't win anything.

Suddenly, Professor Shah halted on his tracks.

Reiju clicked her tongue as a bunch of waiters with silver masks emerged from the dense green maze that surrounded them.

She crossed her arms. "Wow. Irina wanted to surprise me, huh?"