twenty-two | hunger

Despite the relief she felt, Reiju's pride won. She stepped back from the man as if he was on fire. But she didn't get away that far because Professor Shah reached for her hand and tugged her deeper into the classroom.

"What are you doing?" she exclaimed.  She gasped as she bumped into the edges of the desks, letting go of the revolver. "We should fight!"

"Are you crazy? I can't fight students."

An insult was on her tongue when the professor shoved at a part of the wall. Reiju's jaw slacked as it moved, tilting vertically with two entrances on both sides. He yanked her inside before pushing back the slab of concrete to its original position.

Reiju blinked as her eyes got used to the darkness. She turned but Rohan pulled her to his chest. Her heart thundered before she realized that they were standing on a narrow ledge.

She looked down and saw a lit candle. The flickering light allowed her to see a basement of some kind located ten meters below. Papers and open drawers filled the space along with an old sofa cramped on one corner.

To her left was a spiral staircase leading to the old room though some parts of it were starting to crumble.

As Reiju calmed down, it dawned on her that she was in the arms of her brooding professor. His palm was hot on her exposed back while his other hand settled on her ass. He smelled sweet and calming like whiskey and chocolate. Ah, no. She needed to concentrate.  "Should I...?"

He cleared his throat and let his hands fall to his sides. He gestured to the staircase behind her.

Before Reiju could move, she heard muffled sounds from the other side. The professor shot her a glare, commanding her to move and not linger. She rolled her eyes and pressed her ear to the thin space that separates the secret entrance from the wall.

She wanted to hear Irina's reaction. The girl must be fuming. Take that.

"This door was open! She must be here!" she yelled.

A boy replied in Russian. It was quiet and Reiju huffed in annoyance from not learning anything when a voice she was too familiar with assaulted her ears.

Maggie.

"Irina, enough!" Maggie exclaimed. There was a sound of desks and chairs toppling together before she spoke again. "You got your fun!"

"Nyet! She didn't do it!" Irina shot back. "Why are you even here? You said you did not want to see my show!"

There was a pause and Reiju pushed forward to hear some more.

"It can't be... you like her? For real?"

What?

"At least, she's not ashamed to be seen with me."

What the fuck?

Reiju pushed forward but Professor Shah gripped her wrist, shaking his head. It wouldn't be good if they get caught. She reluctantly agreed and went down the stairs in deep thought.

It couldn't be that Maggie and Irina were in league this whole time?

Reiju sat on the ugly sofa, ignoring the loud creak it emitted. She bit her lower lip as her heart ached with betrayal.

"Are you okay?"

His question brought Reiju back to the reality that she wasn't alone and that this wasn't the place to cry. She cleared her throat, roaming her eyes at the old space. "How did you find this place?"

"How could I not?" Professor Shah leaned against the table in front of her. Books lined the walls, casting shadows on his solid figure.

The lone light in the room barely shone on his face that Reiju had to convince herself he wasn't an illusion. She sat straight. "I see. How convenient."

He crossed his arms. "Back-up plans are everything. Why would I let someone know of a secret I found?"

His words reminded her of how juvenile she was at her view of the criminal world. She needed to steel her nerves. This wouldn't be the last time this would happen to her.

That's why she needed to succeed tonight. No matter what.

Reiju smirked. "Thank you for saving me, sir. I owe you."

"Will you drop the act?"

"What act?"

The darkness embraced him further as his face hardened. "I won our bet, Miss. You better stop playing your games now."

She tilted her head. "How did you recognize me then?"

"Is that important?"

Reiju stood up and stalked towards him. His demeanor tensed as she reached his spot. "What gave me away? Smell? Mannerism? Speech?"

He swallowed hard. Without his mask, black strands that escaped his gelled hair fell on his forehead. He whispered his next words. "You came back."

She frowned. "What is so weird with that?"

"Should I accept the fact that someone like you gave me a second look?" he muttered. A smirk tugged at the edge of his lips. "I knew then you have an agenda."

Reiju pressed closer to him but the professor gripped her shoulders. She smiled. "Why would I come back when I could've won it then?"

His fingers on her skin moved slightly and Reiju stepped forward, placing her palms on his hard chest.

"To taunt me? You like challenges, do you?" The man had given up in dissuading her efforts. His left hand caressed her arm and unlike earlier, the warmth had a mix of cold from his watch. "I'm a challenge, aren't I?"

Reiju ignored the pounding in her ears. "Is it so hard to believe that I am truly interested in you?"

He growled. "Stop that."

"Why?" She licked her lips. Reiju recalled his words from earlier.

"Miss..." He breathed out and the scent of chocolate and jasmine washed over her. His mouth hovered over hers. "Stop asking for things that are impossible."

Reiju's eyes flashed. "You're the one who makes this impossible. Is it so shameful to admit that you want me? What? Is it because you're older than me or that you are--"

Rohan grabbed her wrist and in one calculated move, he exchanged their positions. The edge of the table dug on her ass as he pressed their bodies together. "Stop it."

"What are you so afraid of?" she asked.

The man reached to grasp her jaw as he leaned forward to nudge her nose against the slender line of her neck.

A gasp escaped Reiju's lips as he kissed a spot on her shoulder. Her fingers stroked his back, biting her lip at the sudden knot on her stomach. He smelled so intoxicating that she didn't mind drowning right at this moment.

"I don't just want you, Miss Tenjin." His dark eyes locked on hers, his hand moving to curl a gold strand around his finger. "I want to devour you."

She swallowed as he continued speaking in that deep, low voice that sent tremors to her nerves. "I want to fuck you until you know nothing but me and only me, until your shape molds into mine, until you're on your knees and begging me to stop."

Shit.

Reiju returned his fervid gaze, tilting her chin upwards. His ravenous words only made her want him more. "Is that supposed to scare me?"

"Stubborn girl." He smirked, licking his lips as her arms yanked him closer. "This is a one-time thing. Understand?"

Reiju nodded and just like that, the world shifted on its axis.