sixteen | will

It was Sunday. Reiju woke up early to once again sort her scattered thoughts into well-laid plans. Her last encounter with Dion and the professor had opened her eyes to the fact that she was a loser. Her abilities weren't enough to deter the threats around her.

Reiju huffed, yanking the boxing gloves off her hands. She had thought back to how hard she tried to fight Yami from bringing her here. It was because she wanted to protect her family.

What an absurd thought.

As if her brother couldn't take care of the clan.

She wasn't needed in Japan. Wasn't that why her father threw her on this island?

Reiju shook her head, pushing her sweaty hair into a ponytail. She wiped the slickness off her body and exited the fighting arena. She decided to grab breakfast in the common dining hall.

Why did she suddenly remember her childhood traumas though? Was it because of Dion's superiority?

Dion Di Lauro had reminded her of her brother's own abilities. Proud, aloof, and had the incredible insight to see three steps ahead.

All her life she had been staring at her brother's back. She wanted to be like him. She had trained hard, study hard, emulating all of his talents. She had ignored the fact that ultimately, her brother alone was enough. Women had no place in the clan.

How could she ever think that this place would be different?

The glass walls gave a copious amount of sunlight to the hall as the scent of sizzling bacon saturated the air. Reiju marched towards Maggie, Billy, and Gio. She had asked Billy to keep an eye on their new pet after she had found out that they reside on the same wing.

"Morning, Rei. Have fun?" Gio greeted. He stood up and yanked out a wooden chair for her. "Do you want coffee? I'll get you one."

"Sure. Thanks." Reiju sat. The boy had been trying to get on her good graces ever since she had bailed him from Professor Shah's punishment.

"He's at your mercy now." Maggie sipped from her juice, a plate of hamburger steak, fries and eggs was in front of her.

"I know. But our dilemma remains. I can't hold Gio's hand through the next term," she said.

"Maybe he has a reason? He's a Muay Thai champion. I don't believe he's dumb," Maggie mumbled.

Gio arrived with her coffee and a bowl of rice. "Just rice?"

"Well, you're Asian, right?"

Reiju resisted the urge to smack him. She got up and grabbed a mango sticky rice and a handful of jackfruit and strawberries. She went back to their table to see Maggie and Gio arguing.

"So, you're really dumb?" Maggie demanded.

"I'm not!"

"Then, why have you been here for years?"

Giovanni lowered his gaze. His jaw was clenched tight as his fingers curled into fists. He mumbled something under his breath.

Reiju noticed his hesitation and the way his brows frown as if he was sorting out his thoughts. She touched his arm. "Gio, tell me. What is it?"

His brown eyes flitted to hers. There was a silent plea that Reiju couldn't understand.

She smiled at him. "You're part of my clan, aren't you? I have your back."

Gio shook his head.

Reiju sighed. "Fine. I'll let you look after the cat."

"Okay. I'm dyslexic."