ten | gears

The fighting ground was empty. With a track and field, countless courts, shooting ranges, and boxing gyms equipped with the latest facilities, Reiju thought it was the perfect place to clear her mind.

She had woken up early and wasted time kicking and punching the heavy bag swinging from the ceiling.

Reiju knew she wasn't a great planner. She liked moving and taking action instead of unending internal debates. Her insides swirled just thinking about the immense planning she was about to do.

First, there was her clan. Never mind numbers. What she needed were strong and intelligent members. But with Dion and the others' solid influence, her plan was doomed unless she snatched members from them.

Then, there was the murderer and the man in the labyrinth. She could ignore it. Everybody was ignoring it anyway. But she couldn't.

Reiju was too curious. She wanted to find out if the diary owner was killed. To know if there was a monster in this school. Just a peek at the records.

She promised she would leave it after that.

Reiju proceeded to change into her uniform after wiping her sweat. She grabbed her bag, stomping to the exit when the door slammed shut.

She whirled to the source at the corner of the boxing gym. Reiju shoved the numerous punching bags out of her way, determination in her every step.

Something moved past her legs.

It was fast.

Soft.

Jumpy.

Reiju looked down to see a cat rubbing its fat body against her leg. What the hell? She bent down to pick up the orange tabby cat when the door opened.

"Oh, you found him?"

She faced the speaker, seeing a short boy with short brown hair. There was a distinct scar running down from his left eye to his cheek. "Is this yours?" she asked.

He shook his head, scratching at his nose. "I just got worried."

Reiju rubbed at the cat's fur, twisting the black collar. "Rojo. And the owner is..." She frowned. "Lorenzo?"

She turned to the boy. The gears in her mind spun faster than she could stop. "I'll keep him!"

The boy couldn't do much but trail after her, biting his lip worriedly. "You're gonna return him to his owner, right?"

Reiju smirked. "Of course not."

"What! But why?" he inquired, keeping up with her rapid pace as she crossed the empty parena and exited the fighting grounds.

Reiju halted. She narrowed her eyes at him. "Who the fuck are you?"

"I'm Giovanni. You are?"

She scanned him, noting his tanned and sharp features despite his lack of height. She couldn't tell which clan he belonged to. "Nice to meet you, Giovanni. See you around!"

"W-wait!"

Reiju marched towards the dormitory to deposit the cat in her room. Blackmail was the perfect direction to go into. And for that, information was essential.

Reiju walked in the hallway of the second floor after her Poison class. She finally found Maggie sitting next to a window alcove with stone benches.

"Just the person I was looking for," she greeted. Reiju scrutinized her downcast form, droopy eyes, and a wry smile. She sat in front of her. "Are you okay?"