twenty-eight | heir

"What's wrong?" Reiju gasped as she supported Dion's weight. His skin was hot as she helped him sit on his bed. She touched his forehead to confirm her suspicions. "You have a fever."

Dion shook his head, hiding his flushed face with his hand. "This is nothing."

Reiju opened her mouth to complain but Dion had stood up and walked to his closet. "It's good that you are here. We need to check out a place," he said.

"Wait--" Reiju looked away as the boy dropped the towel from his waist. She rolled her eyes as he dressed in a hoodie and gray joggers. "Geez, so shameless."

"Come on," Dion declared, yanking his gloves on.

He trudged to the door but Reiju grabbed his arm to stop him. "Hey! At least take some medicines! What if you pass out? I can't carry you!"

Dion's blue eyes softened. For a moment, Reiju thought he was about to cry. But he clicked his tongue in annoyance before he rummaged the drawers of his bedside table. He popped a medicine and drank some water before raising an eyebrow at her. "Happy?"

Reiju shook her head at his cheekiness. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Dion didn't answer as he crushed the water bottle in his hand. He tossed it to the trash can before he grabbed her hand and led her outside.

"Dion!" Reiju hissed in warning.

"I am alright. I only punished a traitor."

"Traitor?"

"One of my men told Lorenzo about our alliance in exchange for coca."

"What!"

"Do not fret. I broke his legs and sent him home." His grip on Reiju's hand tightened with his next words. "Fortunately, that is all he said. They will be wary of us though."

It remained silent for a moment before Dion spoke again. "I apologize. This is all my fault."

"I'm sure you didn't want this to happen. It's all--"

"No. This is the third time this happened since I entered this school three months ago. I am angry, yes. But I am much angrier at myself. This wouldn't have happened if I am a better leader."

Reiju bit her lip. She remembered Maggie and wondered if she was at fault as to why she got tangled with Irina. Could she punish her when the time comes?

"That's not true," Reiju said. "As long as an organization is made up of humans, it will never be perfect."

Dion's blue-grey eyes found hers as they descended towards the forest. He let out a sigh and continued their trek. "My father says differently."

Reiju didn't resist the smile that tugged at her lips. "You and my brother will get along."

"Why?"

"Because my brother also wants everything to be perfect."

"What's wrong with that?"

"Sometimes it makes him an asshole."

Dion chuckled. "Did it ever cross your mind that we don't have a choice? Perfect heirs. Perfect kingdom. Disappointing one's parents is not an option."

Reiju blinked a few times. His words made sense and she began thinking of all the times her brother had taken it too far. Did it mean that being a son also sucked?

"We're here," he whispered.

The pair crouched. Their forms were hidden by thick trees and a field of cogon grasses. Reiju saw a coca plantation in a ten-meter plot. The plants wouldn't be enough to generate a steady supply all year round but it was enough for everyone to have a taste. Lorenzo's men stood by the sides while others gathered the leaves.

The leaves were then being processed in a makeshift lab behind a grove of trees where smoke could be seen.

"They didn't hide it well, did they?" she muttered.

Dion nodded next to her. "Enzo's men are on par with mine. And no one is brave enough to cross them anyway."

"What should we do?" Reiju asked.

The man tilted his head to the side. "What do you think?"

Reiju scoffed at his obvious plan to test her. "Let's leave them alone."

"That's it?"

She smirked. "Once they become dependent, we burn it down. That way they will be on their withdrawal stage once graduation rites start."

"Good." Dion shot her a look of approval. He stood and held out a hand to pull her up. "For now, let them indulge their pleasure."

"That's what you wanted to show me?"

"Yes. I already know what to do but I..." Dion hesitated. His sweat rolled down from his forehead as his breathing became difficult. "I wanted your opinion."

Reiju gripped one of his arms, supporting half of his weight as they moved through the mangrove area. "And if my opinion differed?"

"We are bright individuals. I am certain we could reach a consensus."

She chuckled at his words. The atmosphere between them had changed. Conversation with the Camorra's heir had become easier. Reiju hoped she wasn't being lulled into a false sense of security.

Damn it. She had never questioned anyone's loyalty before. In their clan, words held a lot of weight. Breaking oaths and promises means death. But this place kept shaking her beliefs. Was it a really good idea to adapt to this school and its rules?

Reiju didn't like the idea one bit.

"What's wrong?" Dion asked. He winced as their shoes stepped into a muddy area. The disgust on his handsome face made Reiju laugh.

She wanted to tease him further if not for the reddish liquid that surged towards their spot. The ocean wasn't far and the sound of waves managed to reach them. There was a lot of explanation for this phenomenon but the color reminded her of what had transpired the past few days. "What the hell?" she muttered.

Dion peeked at their feet. "Harmful algal blooms?"

"Isn't that impossible for a place with a stable ecosystem?"

He crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at her. "But saying that this is blood is improbable."

Reiju shut her eyes before letting out a long sigh. "You're right. I'm being stupid."