14. passing the torch

Jake's POV

It was finally time for the free skate program. It was the final stage. Sunghoon is one step to winning that gold. He just needs to concentrate and not think of anything else but acing his program. He had to go first this time since he went last for the short program.

Before he went to the centre of the ice rink, I held him back to talk to him.

"Do your best, Sunghoon. Remember what I told you, okay?"

Sunghoon nodded firmly. I finally could get a smile out knowing my boyfriend isn't nervous. Sunghoon smiled back and patted my cheek with his palm gently. Almost like he was telling me not to worry too much.

Sunghoon skated to the centre and got into position. The music played and the crowd went silent, all attention on my Ice Prince.

As he performed his free skate, my eyes were locked on him. His every move and jump. He shined so bright to me. He always has. Ever since I met him all those years ago I've always been in love with one boy. Park Sunghoon.

The loud cheers and chants brought me back to reality as the music died down. Sunghoon stood in the middle in his end pose. I see a smile emerge on his face and it made me chuckle.

He didn't make a single mistake or fall. There's a good chance of him winning gold.

Sunghoon skated over to me and immediately jumped on me, wrapping his arms around my neck and legs around my waist. On instinct, I wrapped my around his waist tightly, making sure not to drop him.

"I did it, Jae. I did it!", I smiled and nodded.

"You sure did, Sunghoon. You did so well. I'm so proud of you.", Sunghoon giggled and pecked my cheeks, making me flustered.

He let go of me and intertwined his fingers with mine.

"Let's go and see the scores. I'm actually nervous!", Sunghoon said with a nervous smile.

I snorted and ruffled his hair. "You did well. There's no need to worry."

Sunghoon leaned on me and laid his head on my shoulder as he was taller than me by a bit.

"I hope so.", I look at him and he was pouting. How is he so cute?

"Sunghoon Park from the Republic of Korea achieved a free skate score of 230.5! That is a new world record!"

My eyes grew as wide as saucers. I covered my mouth in shock as I glanced at Sunghoon beside me. He was going to cry again.

"He beats current gold medalist, Yuzuru Hanyu's world record score of 223.2 by 7.3 points!"

7.3 points?! That much?! I feel so proud of him. Suddenly, Sunghoon surprises me when he hugged me. I could hear hia quiet sobs as he tightened his grip on my waist. I smiled and hugged him back, patting his back softly.

"Let it out, Sunghoon. It's okay.."

Sunghoon got a combined score of 347.8 points which is also a world record! My baby just keeps breaking records.

The other skaters performed their free skate program and Yuzuru was the last to do. Sunghoon was still first in terms of full score. It depends on Yuzuru's score.

Long story short, Yuzuru lost by 5 points.
He went over to Sunghoon and congratulated him. They hugged and I turned away, holding my possessive self back.

"Jae?", I turned back as I heard Sunghoon calling me.

By that moment, Yuzuru was gone and somewhere else. I didn't really care. All I cared is that my baby was smiling and holding his arms out for me.

I snorted and pulled him into a hug, swaying us side to side.

"I finally won gold...It feels so surreal."

"I know, baby. I felt the same way when we won album of the year."

I let go of him and held his cheeks with my palm, caressing them softly.

"I'm proud of you, Sunghoon. Use this as encouragement to qualify for the Olympics, hmm?", Sunghoon laughed heartily and nodded, resting his forehead on mine.

"I promise I'll qualify for the Olympics. Just for you. My little ozzie boy Jake.", I scrunched my nose at the nickname.

"It was one time!", Sunghoon laughed heartily. It brought a smile on my face.

It was time for the medal ceremony and I stood behind the barriers as Yuzuru skated with Sunghoon to the podium. It was as if he was passing the torch to Sunghoon.

Sunghoon stood in the middle as Yuzuru was on his left and the thrid place on his right. He had the gold medal put around his neck and the pyrotechnics went off as the crowd chanted his name.

Sunghoon seemed embarrassed and bowed timidly. He's too cute.

They were interviewing Yuzuru on losing his 1st place but he just congratulated Sunghoon which I appreciated.

"This is sadly going to be my last competitive event. I think it's perfect to retire while passing the torch to a rising star in Sunghoon. I'll miss you all! Thank you for the memories!"

Everyone in the ice rink was shocked to silence. I definitely was. Sunghoon was bawling his eyes out. I did my best to comfort him but he just went on and on about how he still wanted to compete with his idol.

"This is to Sunghoon. Please aim higher than this, I know you can do it. Hwaiting!"

And there goes my chance at calming him down. Sunghoon couldn't hold back the tears and cried in my chest, his tears wetting my sweater.

I'm going to have a lot of cuddling to do tonight.

a/n : I'm so sorry for the late update :( it's just I'm busy with school and online classes right now that I totally forgot to update but I will be updating more soon !!