Chapter 2

"Mischief? We haven't caused chaos since we were children."

Maeve smiled at a passerby and nodded her head politely.

"Precisely. This is all terribly boring to me. I don't particularly like dancing, too much touching involved."

"Sisiveight, anything less than marsh bores you."

He laughed at her and motioned towards a back corridor with his hand, a gentle subtle motion.

"We'll convene back there. I will go first and then you."

She nodded at his orders and just as he left a Duke took his place to speak about his water sources and how her people may be able to help. He was very adamant but Maeve was more focused on the fact she had lost eyes on Sisiveight. She looked around before excusing herself from the duke. She wove throughout the crowd, expertly dodging her own house guards. Living in the forest had helped her learn to be elusive. Maeve slipped into the corridor and looked around unable to see much as it was dimly lit and the sun in the windows had already gone down. Tapping on the glass drew her attention to the window on her right. Sisiveight was on the other end and motioned her to come outside. Maeve opened the door carefully to minimize the creaking and stepped out with him.

"The balcony? Elusive. What's the plan, Sis?"

Sisiveight gestured towards the railing along the wall and balcony alike. He was eating hors-d'oeuvres off of a plate and held some out.

"Well if your mother hasn't fattened you up and you can still balance, we sneak to the kitchens and taint the treats?"

"As much fun as I'd have to watch some of these stuck up nobles double over, I don't fancy that. How are we supposed to enjoy them if we taint them?"

Maeve took a small piece and plopped it into her mouth.

"Very well princess, what would be your plan?"

He huffed and sat back onto the railing and looked at her impatiently. The bell begun to ring signaling the ball would be coming to a close in about an hour.

"Did you realize it was getting so late? I have another plan that requires my attention tonight. One I must do alone. Perhaps our mischief may occur another time?"

Sisiveight seemed displeased and got up to follow the now leaving Maeve.

"But that's when things get interesting. I, oh wise princess of the trees, am the king of the night!" He chuckled loudly. "That means anything planned at night must be done with me included in it!"

Maeve stopped short of the door and fiddled with her dress and gave him a small nod.

"Noted but this is a matter of...personal affairs. The less you know the better you'll be."

In the years they had known each other, they had always been pranksters and were always found laughing together at the misfortune of some poor fool. Their parents tried to instill hatred for the other houses in them but Sis and Maeve had been inseparable as children. Maeve knew she could trust him but for his sake, she really didn't want to risk his head. Sisiveight readjusted his mask and looked at her carefully.

"You can tell me these things. After all, you brought it up, can't get someone curious and not let me in on it."

"Sis you don't understand-" She stopped and grabbed the collar of his shirt pulling his face level to hers. "-Knowing could cost you everything."

"I have nothing left to lose besides my head, and with the tension between Dormon and Moria I'd say it's already likely."

Maeve sighed and pulled her dress past her knee and pulled a letter from underneath, the item she sent her attendant to fetch, tucked carefully into a garter. The letter bore the seal of house Dormon, unbroken.