Chapter 9

Maeve woke to the servants opening the curtains to allow sunlight in.  Today was brighter than most others, the sun was in an optimal position where the beams felt warm but they weren't overpowering.  She was handed a letter, the seal of Orphic on its fold. 

Maeve,

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Soren has passed away from the plague. My doctors tried everything in their power to bring him back, but it was too late. He'd kept the sickness a secret from all in order to continue making cures for my people. He died with honor. I'm so sorry I wasn't able to bring him back to you. I failed you.

With a heavy heart,

Siseveight.

Inside the letter was the golden feather necklace. Maeve crumpled the letter but did not toss it and put the necklace into her pocket. She held the letter in her hands firmly and made her way out of the castle's doors and walked along the path from the garden out to the royal graveyard. She lifted her skirts and sat at the foot of a dusty grave head, it was not as nice or as well taken care of as the others but it was the best she could've given him.  

Joseph

A loving partner, brother, and father

She placed the letter on top of the gave and let her tears weep over the soil. 

"I promised I'd keep him safe for you."

Maeve felt as though she had failed. So much had happened over the course of a few days, and yet she felt numb to it all. She wiped her tears and stood up brushing off her wrinkled fabric.  The captain of her guard, Frederick, approached quietly and with soft feet to not disturb her. 

"My lady, I am sorry for interrupting.  Your mother requires your presence for planning."

Maeve knew Nadene meant to crown her sole leader of Hiraine as consolation, but Maeve only wanted one thing.  She wanted Sisiveight to pay.  He was meant to keep Soren safe and instead got him killed.  To Maeve Soren's life was worth more than the wolf prince's. 

"Forget the coronation.  You will march every man we have available. I want Prince Sisiveight dead."

The captain looked at Maeve in shock. 

"Ma'am, march to Orphic? Do you mean to start a war?"

"Do not make me repeat myself Captain or I will find a new one who will do as told. "

Maeve stormed into the castle, doors slamming as she passed through.  She was about to become queen and did not care much for what these people thought of her.  She was tired of being taken advantage of.  Nadene, Merriweather, Jax, and now Sisiveight.  Maeve was done being their victim.  She charged into her room and tore the dress from her body.  She held the fabric in her hands and screamed into its soft laces. Maeve reached onto her desk and grabbed a letter opener using its sharp edges to gash the dress into scraps.  Maeve was done being some dress-up doll.  Her mother wanted Maeve to be a queen. She was going to give her a queen.

She dug through her wardrobe until she found a fitted blouse and pants.   Upon arrival Orphic would not see a dainty princess, they would see a warrior. Maeve knew that she'd be making an enemy out of Orphic, but Moria was currently laying in ruins, no doubt joining Efaridge after their great scatter.  Someone needed to bring stability to the land, and Maeve planned to reinvent that wheel.