Chapter 11

The party was lively underneath the ballroom's balcony. Maeve walked confidently to the balcony's edge and raised her arms and the music was halted, drawing the guest's attention to her. 

"Welcome all! Hiraine is honored to have such lovely guests among us tonight. I've received many inquiries on the one missing person everyone seems to know despite his isolation."

Maeve looked behind her and waved her guards on

"Prince Siseveight of Orphic!"

The guards brought Siseveight next to Maeve and stepped back. Sis wasn't bound nor harmed, but Maeve had the feeling he'd remain. The people below her gasped and whispers began to circulate. 

"In Hiraine, we have a legend of the one we call SaehnDalas. For those who have never heard our common tongue, it translates to "one who kills". I bring before you our SaehnDalas, I bring before you the man responsible for the death of Hiraine's most skilled healer, who took our sacred flower and had Kilros duplicate them, who betrayed your Queen's trust." Maeve turned to Siseveight, his eyes wide as she mentioned the replanting that occurred in Kilros. 

"Do not think I wouldn't have found out." She whispered.

"Your shipments weren't enough! My people continued to die because there weren't enough flowers coming in! I only tried to increase production and secure a supply while your psychotic mother was still in power!" He argued in return, "I've never intended to hurt you! I told you the truth about Soren's death as soon as it happened!" There was a clear growl in his voice as he spoke.

"It never should have happened," Maeve growled under her voice she looked at Siseveight and withdrew her sword. The sword was the very one she was to swear upon at her wedding to Merriweather.

"On your knees."

Siseveight tensed and took a step back, but refused to get down, "Maeve please, you have to believe me. There was no way we could have known. H-he hid it from everyone! He was so focused on helping my people that he neglected his own health. I only found out when he started coughing black ichor! I tried everything in my power to save him, I-I gave him the cure but it was too late," he sounded more desperate now, but he hoped the truth would calm her.

Maeve had no intention of killing Sisevieght, she had a plan far worse than death for the masked wolf. She knew the prince before her and smiled devilishly. "Kneel, or I will make you. Have honor Siseveight."

Siseveight eyed the sword for a moment while clenching his jaw, "You're one to speak about honor with what you're doing now..." he hissed.

"Kneel." She spoke, her voice stern.

"You've given me no reason to respect your command," he answered simply, giving her a snarl.

Maeve walked behind Sisiveight and kicked at the back of his leg, dropping the Orphic leader to his knees. "I told you to kneel or I'd make you."

She looked back at the crowd.  "Let me show you the coward Prince of the Marshes! Let me show you Hiraine's traitor!"

Maeve looked at Sisiveight one more time, her gaze felt like fire as she reached his mask, and removed the wolf's skull from his face. The man under the mask was mangled and gnarled. Skin fell in places where skin should not be, scars covered his forehead and cheeks, and his left eye was almost blinded. He was disgusting. 

"Take him away," Maeve ordered the guards and turned back to her guests faking a smile.  "Please, resume your party." She clutched Sisiveight's mask in her hands and frowned, what had she done? Maeve felt disgusted by herself. She walked through the balcony doors to look for Sisiveight's room.