Chapter 5

The guard left, closing the door behind him. On one of the couches sat none other than Siseveight. He had his legs up on a short table in front of him and was eating some of the food that was usually put out for guests.

"Well, of all the things I was expecting to see, you in those colors certainly wasn't one of them."

Maeve sighed.

"And what did you expect? I couldn't just remain naked this entire time, so they've given me clothes. They offered my own colors but it's safer this way."

She remained standing and approached him.

"Why are you here Sisevieght. We both know you don't like Dormon or Jax."

"I have nothing personal against Jax, I just don't appreciate him starting a war and having to drag my people into it~"

He shrugged before he took a bite out of a pastry he held in his hand. Something about him seemed off, his charismatic voice wasn't the same, it didn't have the same energy as before. Maeve could sense something was off.

"So why are you here."

Maeve's tone grew more impatient with him.

"Did you come all this way to tell me that? Or is something else bothering you."

"Pfft! Bothering me? Nothing is bothering me~!"

He mumbled. His charisma was fading in and out as he spoke. He stared at his pastry,

"I just... came to ask a... a favor."

"You aren't in the position to ask for a favor." She eyed him carefully. "What is it you want."

His eyes went from the sweet to her then back. The prince straightened up in his seat. He removed his legs from the table and played with the sweet before pushing it away like he wasn't hungry. He took a moment to bring his hands under his mask and rub whatever face was under there. He then sighed and rested his hands back on his lap,

"I... really need your help. My town, it's dying. The plague hasn't stopped spreading, and none of the remedies my alchemists create are strong enough to combat it. I tried to go to Hiraine to ask for help, but they turned me away immediately..."

"Of course. They won't send aid when I'm away.."

She said quietly. Maeve couldn't go back, but she couldn't allow him to suffer.

"You'll have to go back."

Maeve unhooked the necklace shed worn for years. It was a golden feather.

"Take this with you. Find a man named Soren, do not let anyone know your business. Give it to him and tell him I sent you. He will accompany you home. Soren will know what to do and he's the only physician I trust to keep the mission a secret. In exchange Sisevieght...you can tell no one where I am."

The prince's masked head turned towards the necklace. He sat unmoving for a good few moments before his gaze turned to her eyes.

"Do... you really mean it?" He asked, seeming legitimately surprised.

"If I can do something to help then I must. Now stop wasting time and go." She spoke thrusting the necklace into his hands.

He juggled it in his grasp for a few moments before gazing down at it. His fingers delicately traced the details. She could see how scratched up his fingers looked; they were full of scabs and his fingernails were worn to the flesh. He put the necklace into his pocket, "Thank you, Princess."

"Bring it back to me. It means a lot to me." Maeve smiled sadly as she took her leave grabbing her skirts so they didn't drag on the floor. She wasn't sure if Jax had finished his meeting or if Demitra was still there with him, but needed to let him know about Sisiveight. She could hear mumbling sounds from outside the door and opened it before they could answer.