008

DEATH IS REAL

PEOPLE COULD COMMIT MURDER HERE. They really could. This is the exact type of place in movies where bodies would randomly show up. Honestly, you knew that the forest of the Dwarf's Mines was supposed to be illustrated as spooky, but wow, they've really outdone themselves.

The forest is creepy as hell the moment you step through the Dark Mirror— The grass is wet and overgrown and it is eerily silent. Since the sun had already set, you have to squint to see through the darkness to see the cottage in the distance. It resembles the one from Snow White exactly, which is to be expected considering the name of the mines.

"So this is where the mines are supposed to be..." Deuce mutters, "It used to be prosperous due to the mining but..."

"I guess not anymore, huh?" you finish, eyeing the path leading to the cottage. With windows boarded and roof sagging, it was obvious to you this one had been abandoned.

"Uh... this place is just," Grim lets out a shudder from your arms, to which you bring him closer to your chest, "Just so creepy! Feels like something could jump out..." From beside you, Ace laughs.

"What, you scared? ...Oh, there's a house back there," he points out, already making his way down the dirt path, "Let's see if there's anyone who can tell us anything about the mine."

"I really don't think there's anyone here," you say, but you follow along with the rest of them anyway. Letting Grim hop out of your arms, you continue down the path with him beside you. The cottage doesn't look that much better up close. The walls are crumbling and the plants in the front have been neglected. The four of you look up at it, quite adamant to come in.

"...Hey Deuce, go knock on the door."

"What? No. If you're so brave, then you do it."

Oh my goodness.

After a few minutes of them bickering back and forth, you finally interrupt them. "You know what? Just let me do it."

There was one universal rule of all horror movies: Don't enter abandoned buildings. And yet here you are, breaking that very rule. You gingerly knock on the door, your only source of courage stemming from the fact that you know how the story is supposed to proceed. This never would have happened if you didn't know how the story is supposed to go.