004

GHOSTBUSTERS

"I... SEE THE APPEAL," You offer unsurely upon seeing the run-down shack on the hill. Yeah, maybe if you were a rat. Somehow, every single time, your expectations are always exceeded. The entrance ceremony was grander than she expected, the in-game characters were handsomer than expected, and this Ramshackle Dorm was... shabbier than expected. Exceedingly shabby. It looks so sad beside a few barren trees, its windows boarded up and roof shingles nearly falling off. The grass was sodden and uncut, growing over the cracked stone bricks that led up to the building. There were weeds climbing up the crooked little metal fence and gate, which creaked terribly loud when opened.

"Right, right. Please come inside." Crowley ushers you inside, not looking bothered in the slightest about the state of the dorm.

It is not much better inside. The foyer is littered with trash and debris, coat hangers knocked over and the wallpaper peeling. It is dark and dim and you have to squint hard to see. The floorboards creak with every step they take, cobwebs in every single nook and cranny. The lounge— if you could even call it that— was a dump. Spare books lying around, paintings fallen from their place on the walls, furniture flipped over. The couches are covered with sheets, the stair banister looks like it might fall apart any moment now. There is a layer of dust on every surface and— oh my god there are holes in the ceiling and the floor.

"Staying here will at least keep you out of the rain," he offers, "I'm going back to do some research. Make yourself at home, [name]. Don't go wandering around the school! Goodbye!"

"Have fun, Mister Crowley, sir.."

With that, Crowley is gone again.

You can hear the rain fall harder outside.

You survey the lounge. Oh dear, this is worse than you thought it would be. The Headmaster did say to not go around, and what could you do about it? Might as well tidy up the lounge while you waited for Grim to make his appearance again. Not to mention, your cleaning skills have to be top-notch if the headmaster was supposed to recognize how good you are at it. Then he would let you into Night Raven College— NRC, as a handyman.

But first things first! It is dark as hell in here.

Fumbling with a dusty old side table, you lift it upright again and scoot it to the corner of the room. Finding a discarded lamp by the fireplace, you pick it up and try plugging it into the wall. A content grin finds its way up your face when after a few flickers, it does indeed, light up. At least you could see better now.