011

ANTICIPATION

THE SUN HAD ALREADY SET LONG BEFORE, when the four of you come storming into Dire Crowley's office. Panting and tired, all of your clothes scuffed with black tar and whatnot from the fight. Hair and fur is a frizzy mess, your knees were caked with dirt from being thrown around some.

Your arm still feels like static after touching the magic stone— it seems to have spread to the rest of your body, because you feel... a tingling sensation. ...Warm all over. That would be the best way to describe it. It doesn't hurt anymore at least— actually, it feels rather nice— but... that kind of thing was never supposed to happen, as far as you know.

It is quite a sight, the way the four of you barge in like that. And his room had been so clean too. The room had a coordinated purple theme, pristine lavender-colored marble(?? is that marble?), elegant purple curtains draped all around, and those portraits that floated curiously at the back of the room. Looking back at it, you feel bad for lugging all this dirt and tar back into his otherwise tidy office.

You, the person leading the group (it's a little weird how you know exactly where Crowley's office is, but everyone else is too drained to notice or care at this point), placing the crystal on his desk.

"There," you say with a tone of finality, chest heaving up and down from running, "A magic crystal, as promised."

The headmaster was in the middle of writing something down on a piece of paper when you do. He looks up silently at you, raising a skeptical eyebrow. Yes, you knew he hadn't expected any of you to actually succeed, but you can't help but feel a bit... What was the word? Exasperated?

"Eh? You really went to the Dwarf's mine to find a magic crystal?" He looks inconvenienced, more than anything.

"Eeeh?!" The other three, who filled out into the room after you barged in— Damn, how do you manage to run so FAST— look up from their hunched, panting positions. "What's... what's that supposed to mean?!"

You can only purse your lips, knowing Crowley meant what he said and said what he meant. Oh well, there's nothing you could do now. What matters most is that none of you will be expelled.

The man sighs and rubs his temples. "I really didn't think... you four would actually go but then return with a crystal in hand. My word." He clasps his fingers together on his desk and sends the four of you a closed-eye smile. You watch him let out a low whistle, not-so-inconspicuously reaching behind to slip a couple files into the wastebasket below him.