010

WHATDIDHESAYYY

REMEMBER WHO YOU'RE DOING THIS FOR, you remind yourself as the three of you march back to the mines. You have no idea where your confidence is coming from and it's highly likely the boys don't either. I'm doing this for Deuce and Ace and Grim, you repeat to yourself, I'm doing this so I can become a student at NRC. I better not die! You pray this monster isn't the thing that kills you.

It's funny how you could rush in so easily and put your well-being on the line for them, after Ace told you off and said what he said. How could you still do something for his sake?

The monster is still there at the mouth of the cave when you reach it, and when it sees you it recognizes you and lets out a thundering roar. The four of you exchange determined glances. "H-hey! Beasty! O-o-over here!" Grim pounces forwards first with a taunting grin, despite the fact that he's terrified. You find that rather admirable. Your cat— hey, since when did he become your cat? That's not the point right now— a large burst of fire spews out of his mouth in the direction of the monster.

"GUAHHH... LEAVEE!"

Ace steps forward, waving his pen around in one big motion with a smirk on his face. "Ha, is that all you got?! Extra large tempest!" A large blast of wind sweeps across the floor and spirals around the monster, fanning the flames up and around it. It screams deafeningly, clawing at its face(? head??), where the fire had touched.

"Whoa, [name] was right," he laughs, sending another gust, "it's actually working, I can fan Grim's shoddy fire into an inferno!"

"Shoddy?! Ugh, take that back right now!" From beside him, the said cat lets out an annoyed growl. "Every single word that comes out of your mouth just ticks me off!" 

They keep on attacking like this— Grim with his wind and Ace and his fire— with the occasional bickering back and forth. Before you know it, they've led the monster a long ways off from the cave.

"Perfect!" you holler, whipping your head around to Deuce. He also looked shocked that your plan was working. "Now's our chance! Deuce! You can summon, you know, something big to pin it down."

He opens his mouth, then closes it. He mumbles to himself for a few quick seconds before finding a new sense of determination. "Come forth, cauldron!" As expected, the cauldron appears out of thin air right above the monster's head. It falls, the way heavy things do, right on top of its head and brings the monster down with it. You barely flinch when you hear its ghastly scream.