Chapter 21

Chapter 21

~ Gerry's POV ~

I was driving like a man mad all the way to the hospital. The whole time I couldn't stop thinking about Grace. She was hurt, that was a given; but how bad? Would she be okay? What happened? So many questions filled my head, it was hard to concentrate on driving.

"You think she's gonna be okay?" I hear Julius ask from beside me. His voice was low, just barely above a whisper but I could still hear the hurt and worry laced in his words.

"She's gonna be fine," I assured. "She has to be." Julius nodded his head and went back to his thoughts as I tried to focus on the road. I saw the hospital lights and I felt my heart drop. We hastily pulled into the parking lot and my mom pulls up next to us. We all got out and made our way to the entrance.

As we stepped into the lobby, I saw Coach Boone and his family in the waiting room along with Coach Yoast and Sheryl. Coach Boone and his wife made their way towards us as my mom met them halfway.

"Mrs. Bertier, I am so sorry," Mrs. Boone began as she grabbed my mom's hands.

"What happened?" She asked in a quiet, broken voice. Coach Boone sighed.

"Someone driving by threw a brick at the window. Grace went to protect Nicki. The brink hit her in the back of the head. She lost a lot of blood." Coach Boone said. My mom let out a short breath as she tried not to cry. Mrs. Boone pulled her into a tight hug which my mom immediately returned. Coach Boone turned to us.

"You gonna be okay?" He asked as he put a hand on my shoulder. I nodded my head in response. I then sat down next to Nicki, who glanced at me.

"You're Grace's brother." She said. I nodded.

"Yeah, I am," I say. She turned to look at me. There were tear tracks down her face and her eyes were red from crying.

"She saved my life." She whispered as tears welled up in her eyes. As tears began to fall down her face, I pulled her into a hug.

"It's gonna be okay," I say. "Grace is gonna be okay." As I finished talking, Julius sat down next to me and put a hand on my shoulder. And then we sat in silence and waited for the doctors to give us an update.

~ Julius' POV ~

We waited in silence, waiting for any news on Grace. My emotions were all over the place, I felt like I was on a rollercoaster. My heart was racing and kept dropping whenever the door opened. After 45 minutes I began to tune everything out and then I heard it.

"The Family of Grace Bertier?" My head shot up at her name. I looked at the door to see a doctor standing there, looking at us. I was going to stay in my seat but Gerry grabbed my arm and pulled me with him. I looked at him quizzically. He didn't say anything, but he nodded his head at me. We walked with Mrs. Bertier up to the doctor.

"How is she?" Gerry asked. The doctor gave a small smile.

"She's alive." He said. I heard Mrs. Bertier exhale in relief. "She does have stitches at the back of her neck and will have some minor pain for a few days. We're still finishing up our tests for concussions and brain damage." The doctor finished. I smiled.

"Can we see her?" Gerry asked. The doctor nodded his head.

"Of course, we can take you back one at a time so she isn't overwhelmed." the doctor suggested. I was about to take a step back to let Gerry and Mrs. Bertier go and see her when a hand grabbed my arm. I turn and see Mrs. Bertier holding onto me.