Chapter 25

~ Gerry's POV ~

I stood on the sideline watching the game as Rev began a new play.

"Ready!" Rev began to shout.

"Omaha, Budds, Omaha." I heard Louie call.

"Set! Hut!" Rev called out as they began the play.

Rev didn't even have time to throw the ball before Kip Tyler slammed him to the ground.

"Songs over, Sambo," Kip yelled at Rev as he lay on the ground in pain.

Petey began to face off with Kip in anger. I ran onto the field to help pull him off the Groveton player.

"What happened, Lastik?" Boone asked as he got down to check on Rev, who was groaning in pain.

"I--I audibled." Louise said, shocked, "Rev, I swear to God I audibled."

"I didn't hear it. Swear to God." Ray said quickly. I narrowed my eyes on him. I heard Louie from the sideline, how is it possible that he didn't? Unless he missed it on purpose.

"Let's take a look at that, son." The medic said as he began to evaluate Rev's wrist, breaking me out of my train of thought.

After a few minutes, the doctor and I helped Rev off the field.

"Well, he broke a bone in the wrist. He won't be throwing any more this season." He said to Boone as I helped Rev to the benches.

"You got one minute, Coach." The Referee

"Take the other time-out, Coach," Yoast said. Boone took a deep breath, thinking of a plan.

"Ronnie Bass!" Boone called out.

"Coach, Rev's going back in, right?" Sunshine asked hesitantly.

"Not at quarterback, son," Boone replied.

"I can't make that pitch, Coach," Ronnie said, panicked.

"Yes, you can. When I was 15 years old, I lost my mother and my father in the same month, Ronnie-- the same month. 12 brothers and sisters. I was the youngest one, but they were all looking up to me. Now, I wasn't ready yet, either, but they needed me. Your team needs you tonight. You're the colonel. You're going to command your troops tonight. Do you understand?" Boone said, finishing his pep talk.

"Yes, sir," Sunshine said.

"Twins right, 48. Zero reads. Let's go." Boone said as he sent Ronnie out

Ronnie and I ran onto the field to join the others, who all had concerned looks on their faces. Well, everyone except Ray.

"What's the matter? Haven't you ever seen a football injury before, you wimps? Let's go. Show some life in those legs. I got it. It's going to be alright." Sunshine says confidently before turning to Ray, "Budds, you release this time." Ray nods his head as Ronnie continues, "Louie, let him through, all right?"

"What?" Louie said, confused.

"Just let him through. Trust me." Sunshine said with a small smirk.

The referee blew his whistle and we all got into position.

"Ready! Set! Blue 21! Blue 21! Hut!"

As I tackled my opponent to the ground, I looked up in time to see Ray let Kip through, only to get flipped by Sunshine.