Chapter 26

~ Julius' POV ~

"Hi," I say to two ladies as they walk past me. One of them turned around and gave me a bright smile before continuing on her way, which made me feel better about being on this side of town.

I stood across the street from the Bertier house. I was just about to cross when a police car pulled up in front of me. The officer rolled down his window and looked at me.

"O-Officer?" I stutter out.

"Heck of a game you boys played last night." The officer said. I felt relief flood through me.

"Thanks. Thank you, Officer." I say. The officer smiled.

"Best defense I've seen in 20 years. Tell that coach of yours to keep up the good work." He said cheerfully.

"Oh. Oh, yeah. I'll--I'll do that." I say. The officer nodded his head before he continued cruising down the road. I take a deep breath and begin to cross the street.

"Yo, man, your taxihadasiren." Gerry says as he comes out the front door.

"Superman!" I shout as I try to swing at him. Gerry opens his arms and hugs me.

"Hey, man, what's going on?" He asks

"Doing all right," I answer, as we walk into the house. I turn to the right as see Mrs. Bertier standing by the window.

"Ma, this is Julius," Gerry says. She reaches her hand out to me, but I engulf her in a huge hug, one which she returns.

"It's nice to meet you Mrs. Bertier," I say as I let go of her.

"The pleasure is all mine. Gerry and Grace talk about you all the time." She says as she smiles warmly. I look down at my shoes to hide the giddy smile that is plastered on my face.

"Speakin of which, is Grace home?" I ask both of them.

"No, she's out studying with her friends." Mrs. Bertier says with a kind smile.

"Alright, I'll see ya later Ma," Gerry says, kissing her on the cheek. I extend my hand to her.

"Mrs. Bertier," I said as I shook her hand. Mrs. Bertier laughs as she places her other hand on top of mine.

"Please, call me Jean." She insists. I nod my head before jumping into Gerry's car.

--

We were playing basketball with the kids in the Berg for a while before deciding to take a break by Gerry's car.

"You know something man when this is all over. I want ya to move up to the ridge and be my neighbor man." Gerry says as he lays on the hood of his car. I threw a basketball back to the kids on the court.