The Most Noble and Ancient House of Black

A bell rang in the peaceful Potter house at seven in the morning, alerting the intruder alarm Fleamont Potter had so painstakingly installed. The entire household stirred as Mr and Mrs Potter rushed downstairs, wands at the ready. "Sweetheart, wait in the bedroom and take James, please," he begged to his wife, as James showed up as well. "I don't think so," James said grimly and his mother nodded.

As the family of three checked the peephole, they saw a rather pathetic sight. Instead of a menacing death eater, or the Dark Lord himself, they saw a grubby teenage boy with a mess of long, black hair and a trunk at his feet. "Mrs Potter?" He called out in a wobbly voice, causing James' heart to melt. As he tried to move past his father to unlatch the door and remove all the protective spells on it, he was suddenly pulled back.

"What?" he said, annoyed.

"James," his father reasoned, "That could be a death eater in disguise! Somebody could have followed you to school and found out about your friendship with..."

James pushed off his father's hand. "I think I know my own best friend, thank you very much," he said hotly.

"I know it's suspicious," Sirius said through the door, "But I swear it is me. M-my parents kicked me.... out. I'm so sorry but, I didn't know where else to..." his sentence gave way to racking sobs, "I can answer whatever question you want me to answer. I know that James scored an even 46 per cent in fourth year," James grinned, "and... that he put a werewolf in a tutu..."

"Dad, it is him, I promise you," James said calmly, eyes glossy. Mr Potter nodded and stuffed his wand in pocket with a huff, opening the door.

As the curly-haired, lanky boy looked up, he was met with three pairs of warm, loving eyes. "Th-thank you, Mr and Mrs Potter," he said, not meeting their eyes Ashe lugged his trunk inside, tracking mud inside the house. "I-I'll clean it up, I'm sorry Mrs Potter...."

***

After a hot shower, a decent meal and sobbing quietly for a few minutes into James' shoulder, Sirius finally answered James' questions. "What happened, mate?" He asked, quietly. Sirius shook his head sadly.

Sir and Lady Black were in the dining room, quietly sipping tea, as the door opened to raucous laughter and jabbering. "Uncle Alph, you didn't..." Sirius laughed, joined by a high-pitched girl's voice as well, as they rounded the corner. "Only you would find such a huge miscarriage of wizarding justice funny, Sirius," a scratchy female voice commented. "Mind your own business, Bella," he said indifferently, hooking his arm through Dromeda's. A boy with slightly paler skin than Sirius remained quiet, walking regally towards the staircase. "I'll be right with you in a moment, Dromeda," Sirius said, snorting as she knocked over the ugly umbrella stand again. "That's an antique, you know," Bellatrix huffed, making her way to the dining room as well.

"Ah, Orion and Walburga!" The smart old man exclaimed, causing Walburga's lips to purse. Sir Black simply nodded respectably, spared a smile for Sirius and Bellatrix, before leaving the table with an announcement of some important 'transactions', which Sirius interpreted as illegal, Dark objects being bought.

"Ah, Alphard," Lady Black said, her mouth in a straight line, "Is Cygnus here as well?" Alphard shook his, trying to not let his disdain show, "No, I'm afraid he's having tea with the Malfoys. Did you know, that Luscious Malfoy asked for our Cissy's hand?"

"Well, I assume Druella and Cygnus must be terribly proud," she said, her mouth turning up a little, "The Malfoys are the most respected, pure blood family, except from us, of course." As Alphard nodded agreeably, Bellatrix smiled and kissed both her cheeks, earning an adoring smile. "Well, Bella, I assume you'll be happy for your sister."

Bellatrix laughed, "Malfoy's a good sport. And what's more, Cissy's got him wrapped around her finger!" Lady Black smiled as well, "You will be expected to marry just as well, you know, not the likes of that Snape boy." She made a dismissive sound, "You know he used to be obsessed with that mudblood, aunt." Sirius burst out, before he could stop himself, "Don't call her a mudblood." All eyes turned to him and his uncle quietly left the scene, after giving him a pitying look.

"What?" His mother said irately. Bellatrix cackled, "Oh, he hangs out with that Potter, Aunty Walburga, and everyone knows that Potter fancies her, that stupid little mudblood."

Sirius took a deep breath, "Mum, can I go to the Potters' for the holidays, please?" Walburga fixed him with a thoughtful gaze, "I suppose he is the most tolerable of all your friends. Did you know Fleamont Potter's father came to help us buy the troll artefacts, back when he was a young man," she said, fondly, "They are, indeed, a rich and pure blood family, but why they are believing those stupid radicals in their little Order, I don't understand."

"Our little Sirius is friends with Squibs and poor little boy with funny scars, aunt," sh continued maliciously, "Snape actually saw something, he said the Lupin boy is actually a werewolf." Walburga fixed her handsome son with a glare.

"Sirius Black, is this true?"

Sirius swallowed, "N-no...."

By now, Regulus had come down the stairs as well. Bellatrix laughed once more, "Is poor little Sirius scared? It's all right, cousin, we all knew what a disgrace you were." Sirius looked imploringly at his mother, hoping for her to defend him, but he should have expected nothing less than the cold stare she gave him.

"Is this true, Sirius? Answer ME." she raised her voice, slamming her staff against the floor. He set his jaw boldly and said, his voice steady, "Yes, it's true. What're you going to do about it? And with all the dark objects that we call heirlooms, I feel safer with him than I do in this bloody house!"

"Ungrateful boy!" She screeched, "You do not deserve to grow up in a house of such respect and grace! You dishonour our name and family! Poor Regulus faces so much critique at school because he has you for a brother! Your father and I cower in shame when people talk about you at events. How dare you..."

"He even talks with that blood traitor, Weasley," Regulus spat, "Everyone knows they're the heart of the Order, right next to Dumbledore!"

"Dumbledore is the best wizard I know," Sirius said defiantly, "I doubt you could defeat him a duel, little Reggie."

"Well, I can."

"How, by telling him such nonsense he suffers a brain hemhorrage and dies?"

"No, I," he looked uncertainly at the now livid Lady Black, "I've been learning the Dark Arts..." Walburga nodded approvingly, "People don't understand it but it's always better to know both sides. What's more, the dark arts have a power that wizards simply don't understand, fear, even. Dumbledore was just afraid of it, after the incident with Grindelwald."

"Dark Arts?" Sirius laughed incredulously, "That's what death eaters do! You want to join them, don't you?" Regulus shrugged but Sirius had known him since birth, seen him lie about stealing cookies. Sirius shot them all disgusted looks, "I hope your face decays just like his and you all die doing loyal service to his royal majesty."

As Sirius flicked his wand aggressively and slammed the door after dragging out his trunk, all windows and glasses shattered and Walburga screamed in anger, a scream he heard all night as he caught a ride on the Knight Bus.

"Tojours Pur, indeed," he said, moodily, tracing the motto on his engraved trunk. James was at a loss and instead just helped him unpack his clothes and made him a bed on the floor, vowing to be the brother Sirius should have had, his house, the one Sirius deserved.