Regulus Black

"Ah, the mystery man doth appear." James mocked Sirius, who looked a tad embarrassed. "It's over between Yvonne and I," he said indifferently, sitting in the carriage with Remus and Peter. "Really? Well, you must have ended it, 'cause she definitely didn't want to." Peter snorted and James looked smug. Sirius sighed, "She wanted to be my girlfriend. What?" He added defensively when he saw all his friends' eyes widen. "Are you serious?" Peter asked in a hushed voice. James burst out laughing, "What'd you tell her? You were afraid of commitment? Or about that Ravenclaw fifth-year?" Sirius spared an amused grin and Remus rolled his eyes. "It's a good thing you said no, you're much too young anyway. And besides," he looked away from James' appalled expression, "third year's nothing to be casual about. My mum told me that some of those new subjects are really hard, especially Arithmetic." Peter snorted, "Arithmetic? Really, Remus?" "James said he'd do it with me," he said, hurt. "I will, but you have to tell us something then," James' brown eyes bore into his, "Why'd you miss your Charms exam last year?" "My aunt's getting worse," Lupin's eyes dropped, "I had to check up on her, you know." They all accepted this explanation, except Sirius; he saw his friend's eyes flash with panic as he tried to avoid eye contact.

"Hey, Black." 

Sirius turned around instinctively, as they got out of the carriages. His eyes searched for the one who had called his name and found a scrawny second-year with sallow skin. "What?" he said, impatiently. He didn't like the look of that boy. "Not you," he said, annoyed, "Regulus." Sirius's blood boiled as he saw his good-for-nothing brother and the boy sniggering. 

"What's up?" James asked, his grin vanishing as he saw his friend's troubled expression. "Just my insolent brother and his too-big-for-his-boots friend." 

Remus looked in their direction and said, quietly, "Don't, James." James shot him a smirk and gave Sirius a knowing look. "On three," he grinned, "Three... two... one... Impedentia!" As they both whispered the incantation, the two boys fell as if struck by a barrier. Since everyone admired and respected the Potter and Black boys, nobody dared help them. Instead, they hurried up the steps as they both bellowed with laughter at their confusion. 

"You-- YOU," the sallow boy pointed at them with rage. "Can't speak?" Sirius mocked, and with a flourish of his wand, he tied the boy's tongue. "Let him go, Sirius," Regulus said, his handsome features distorted with rage. "Hmm, I don't think he wants to," James said, nodding with infuriating superiority. "I don't remember talking to you," he spat, "And you," he rounded on Sirius, "Hanging around Potter like a pathetic lackey, how classic!" A muscle in Sirius's jaw twitched, but he held his ground. "As for them," he pointed maliciously at Peter and Remus, who had quietly shrunk into the background, "You would do anything to defy mother, won't you? Even taking on this-this Squib," Peter broke out into sobs, "And this loser who shows up in patched-up rags-"

 Sirius yelled in anger as he lunged at his brother and punched him in the nose, which promptly broke. "Don't -- Ever -- Insult -- My -- FRIENDS," he panted, punctuating each word with a punch, till Regulus flopped around like a ragged doll. "Sirius, I think he's had enough," Remus said softly, with a little fear in his voice. When Sirius didn't stop, James said, "Mate, let's go in." His voice was gentle and when he touched Sirius's shoulder, it seemed as though he had experienced an electric shock. "He-- He said all that-- about Peter and-- I can't--" "I know, mate, I know," James said kindly, hugging him. 

Peter sniffled all the way to the Great Hall and Remus had a look of astonishment. "Hey, Sirius-" he began, when the doors to the Great Hall were blocked by an angry witch. "Come with me," she barked in a voice quite disproportionate to her age. Professor McGonagall was barely twenty-five years old, but in her anger, the frown lines on her face deepened, giving her the appearance of a much more mature woman. 

"The school year hasn't even begun," she said, her voice trembling with barely-controlled anger, "And I find Mr Black, unconscious, and Mr Nott, wounded. They said you attacked them," she snapped. "Well?" she demanded, "Is it true?" 

James glanced at his best friend, whose eyes were boldly meeting McGonagall's hostile glare. Somehow, he knew it was for show. Though Sirius was brave and would immediately confess, his friend was afraid."Professor, it was me," James confessed as Peter's watery eyes flew back and forth between them. "I jinxed them both, because they were being rude, and he insulted Sirius, so I beat him up. No one," his eyes met Sirius's, "Insults my friends."

"As honourable as you may be, Potter," she said through clenched teeth, "There are better ways to express it. Causing a Muggle brawl on the steps to the castle is certainly not one of them." Her gaze flickered between Sirius and James, as if she knew whom he was harbouring. "You will be facing serious trouble, I hope you know," her eyes remained on Sirius. 

"All right, it was me," Sirius said, hanging his head, "I can't let James take the blame," he added, as James rolled his eyes exasperatedly. "No, Professor," James said irritably, "He's lying. Why're you lying?" he whispered audibly. "Enough," McGonagall said, no hint of a smile on her lips, "Since you both seem to have the delusion that you're protecting each other, I will reward you both with a week's worth of detention, along with whatever punishment Professor Slughorn sees fit." They both sighed with relief. "Your parents will be informed, of course, and a hundred points each will be taken from your house." The boys were aghast. 

"Professor the school year hasn't-"

"Remus and Peter didn't even-"

"I will hear no more about this," she pursed her lips. "Now please move to the Great Hall."