Lupin and Evans

Lily had finally found a friend who she related to in so many ways. Though she loved Alice, Mary and Severus with all her heart, there was something off about each one of them. Alice, the sweetest girl there ever was, prefered to keep to herself, though she could talk for hours if someone broached the topic of a Bubotubers. Mary was the exact opposite; she talked for hours and hours, making for a perfect distraction of mind-numbing conversation about the most trivial things. However, she didn't really care for lessons, and so Lily usually found herself trying to coax Alice into conversations about Potions and potioneers. Severus shared her love for potions vehemently, which pleased her, but with all the recent tension between them, Lily just couldn't bring herself to make small talk with him; their relationship now was just furtive looks when the other wasn't looking and smiles across the Hall, which only seemed to underline the difference between them.

Remus Lupin was everything she was looking for. Though they spent little time conversing about personal things, she felt relaxed around him. Though he did not particularly enjoy Potions, he had a eager curiosity and a general appreciation of all things magic, which Lily took advantage of generously. They spent hours in the library, in their own little bubble, doing their homework together and keeping up a constant about something or the other.

"Why do you like potioneering so much?" Remus asked her during one of their many library sessions, after Lily had given him a painful lesson on the History of Potioneers ("You could take over from Binns," he told her matter-of-factly). Lily laughed, "It's very silly, really." Remus looked at her seriously, at which she chuckled, "All right, all right. So, for muggles, a witch is an evil woman with warts on her nose, who has an old broomstick and a cauldron in her basement," her ears turned pink, "And, well-- I'm muggleborn, and brewing potions that bubble and sparkle like a witch's, well, it's the one thing that is a sure indicator that I'm magic." She looked at Remus with apprehension, waiting for him to laugh derisively and decide that she was much too childish to be friends with, but he just looked at her with understanding.

"That's what Defence Against the Dark Arts is for me," he said with a small smile, "It reminds me that despite everything, I'm a wizard."

"But you're not muggleborn," she pointed out, at which he suddenly felt hot and uncomfortable, and suddenly became very interested in his Charms essay.

***

"Moony," Sirius drawled lazily, as his friend emerged from the library with Lily for the fourth time that week. "So this is your mystery friend," he smiled knowingly, "Won't you introduce me?" Lily groaned with annoyance and bid Remus a polite goodnight and shot Sirius a look of disgust.

After Lily had disappeared around the corner, Remus turned to Sirius, "You don't have to annoy every single one of my friends, you know; it's a very small number as it is."

"Well, isn't it the pot calling the kettle black," Sirius said mockingly, his eyes flashing with a deeper meaning.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You stand there and tell me to be nice to your friends, but what about our friends, Remus? You know James fancies her, and that means she's off-limits!"

Remus looked at him with shock, "She's just my friend! It's not like I can talk about school with you lot. And besides, I don't fancy her. Why should I not be friends with her just because James does?"

"Because James will definitely get the wrong idea," Sirius said, agitated. "You know how funny he is when it comes to Evans." Remus hung his head, exhausted from fighting with his best friend. "I'll take my chances," he said in a quiet voice. "Fine," Sirius retorted, walking away from a boy who was wondering if one friendship with a girl he barely knew was worth all three of his best friends.

***

Lily got up from the table in Hall next morning, wanting to go to the library with Remus and research moonstones. Before she could take more than a few steps, a boy with pale skin sidled up in front of her.

"Hey, Sev," she said in surprise, noting his nervous tick and jittery elbows.

Severus had a funny look on his face,a cross between disgust and shock. Lily sadly took in the changes that had taken place in her best friend; a smile that had a meaner undertone, a result of uninterrupted time with the Blacks; the wrong ones. He had grown taller and he stood eye-to-eye with Lily, his hair flowing carelessly down his shoulders and his hooked nose a bit sharper than before.

"You're friends with Lupin?" he asked incredulously, getting straight to the point. Lily jutted out her chin and said defensively, "Yes, I am. Look, Sev--"

"You know what kind of people they are," he said with passion, "I thought you agreed! I thought you hated Potter and his mates too!"His eyes were darker than they ever had been and Lily felt annoyed at his accusations. "I do! But maybe they're not all bad--"

"Maybe you'd rather spend time making a shrine for that Black," he said with contempt, "Or better yet, perhaps you'd like to scream yourself hoarse at one of Potter's matches?"

"At least Potter and his mates don't play with dark magic," Lily said angrily, "Your mates almost killed my best friend! I've never seen Potter do THAT!" Severus made a sound of rage stormed out of the Great Hall.

Lily composed herself and glanced around consciously, but she had nothing to worry about: Remus had just then 'accidentally' transformed Sirius' toast into a mouse, and he was now shrieking shrilly, while Peter grinned knowingly.

"Evans," a smooth voice said behind her, and Lily turned away so fast she got whiplash. "What--do--you--want--Potter?" she said through gritted teeth, her voice breaking with the strain of not being able to punch him in his self-assured face. "How you doing?" His voice was heartbreakingly soft, but laced with confidence and pride. He brushed back her hair so she could look at his melting eyes, but instead of leaning into his touch, like most-- scratch that, like ALL girls did, she swatted his hand away with disgust. "I was doing much better before I saw you," she groaned, huffing, and followed Severus out the Hall.