Christmas Party

Christmas Eve found a number of girls milling around Slughorn's office. News had reached them that the now-reformed, sizzlingly handsome Potter and his roguishly attractive best friend, Black, were attending the Slug Club's Christmas party, which one could attend by invitation only. However, the question on everyone's minds was: who would be the lucky girls to be blessed by the opportunity to be on the arm of the two most eligible men in the school. 

Peeves had tried, in vain, to find the answer. Popping out in the loo was one tactic that earned him numerous threats to be reported to the Bloody Baron, which ceased his enthusiasm dramatically. 

Be that as it may, many rumours that a certain red-haired girl was to be accompanied by at least one of these fine gentlemen had started blossoming. This caused Lily to earn many a glare in the hallways and attempts at being hexed (she dodged them each time and discreetly sent a Confundus spell in the general direction of the attacker). However, rumours were neither confirmed nor denied, as both parties remained tight-lipped on the subject, even when probed by the persistent Marlene McKinnon. 

By the time the clock struck eight, which was the time of party, most of the female population of Hogwarts was gathered around the hallway just before the potions teacher's office.

 Many of them whispered and nudged each other in excitement as the locks of Lily's deep red hair were spotted, bouncing on her shoulders. As she walked closer, they could see her elegant blue dress ("Did she steal off the back of an elf? 'Cause that looks like our Gertie's uniform", scoffed a fifth year in derision), her school shoes ("Does she not own any more shoes?" cried another sixth year, earning many sounds of assent) and the fact that there was a boy next to her.

Everyone stood on their toes to get a better view and gasped in shock when he stepped under a patch of moonlight; it was...

"Eric Gold, Captain of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team!" a number of girls chorused excitedly. "She sure can get them," said a dark-haired Hufflepuff enviously, as many girls rubbed her back sympathetically. 

As they disappeared from view-- not before being scrutinised from head to toe-- a flurry of movement at the end of the corridor caught their attention. No one could mistake the cocksure gait of Sirius Black, the heartbreaker, the lean and muscular silhouette of James Potter, captain of the Quidditch team and every girl's fantasy, and the two other people next to them. 

They came closer and closer, laughing and talking, one could finally make out their 'dates'. It was none other than Peter Pettigrew and Remus Lupin, the two charity cases they had taken on. Though they were deeply disappointed, the spectators still nodded in approval at this gesture; it was so Potter, being absolutely the unattainable man in every girl's dreams and yet bringing his best friends to a party.

***

The party was in full swing when the Marauders arrived. The whole room greeted them enthusiastically, except for a few Slytherins, who sent them a cool look before turning away. Slughorn personally shook hands with all of them, omitting Remus and Peter from the conversation completely. 

"Man," Remus said, once Slughorn was out of earshot, "You did not do him any favours by bringing us." Peter nodded, his eyes darting nervously around the lavishly decorated room. 

"Look, Moony, Wormy," Sirius sighed, "It was a stupid idea to come in the first place, but James suggested this brilliant idea so if this goes wrong, it's on him." James swatted at him. "I didn't want to come in the first place, because if someone is dumb enough to skip over raw talent, they're just stupid. But," James looked at Peter, "I realised that he just doesn't know you the way we do! We'll get him to notice you tonight."