A stag, a dog and a rat

The full moon came and went, leaving the three boys to observe the painful changes that took place in their friend in a matter of just three days. As they frantically searched for more books in the library, they realised that such a huge task was bound to attract suspicion. 

"James Potter, Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew," a voice called sharply from behind them. The ugly face of Madam Pince appeared behind them, vulture-like, as she took in the books they were browsing. "Animagi," she said suspiciously, "Again. You do know it is illegal to become Animagi without Ministry approval?" Peter gulped but Sirius stepped in smoothly, "Of course, Professor, we wouldn't dream of it. We just want to pass our exams, and you know that we're studying about Animagi this year. How very kind of you to let us issue so many books on the subject; I really hope we aren't bothering you--"

"Oh no, of course not, er, Sirius," she said, flustered. "Well-- you boys know the rules--" She left happily, a blush in her sallow cheeks. "Mate, I think she's got a thing for you," James nudged Sirius, who rolled his eyes dismissively. "That was a close one," Peter breathed, "We'll have to make sure not to get caught."

***

A girl with bright red hair bouncing on her shoulders walked nervously towards the corridor with a funny tapestry that led to the shortcut to the Gryffindor dormitories. A boy with the slytherin snake emblazoned on his chest waited patiently for her, his back turned. She touched his elbow softly, at which he turned around. 

"Sev, I'm so--"

"Lily, I'm really--"

They both grinned awkwardly, "So we're OK then?" Snape nodded, "Lily, I really am sorry, I shouldn't have said all that--" 

"You're right, you shouldn't have. It was mean and rude."

Snape swallowed hard. "It doesn't matter to me who you fancy," he lied, "I just want to be friends with you. But you'll have to accept my friends then, please." He begged her, "They're all I have, except you of course..." Lily sighed and nodded, "But don't you expect me to like them, all right?"

***

The day arrived in the first week of spring, when Madam Maxime and Karkoff bid Dumbledore and the rest of the school goodbye. There were teary goodbyes and heartfelt confessions made, along with promises of keeping in touch. Derek left Lily with a sad look in his eyes; somehow,he knew she won't write to him. Camille swept past angrily, avoiding James' imploring gaze and clinging to another Beauxbatons boy. 

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief, for now, it was finally time to relax and get back to the old ways. Severus and Lily reverted back to their old patterns, with him hanging out with the blond prefect in Slytherin and her ignoring James in general. 

James, for once, was much too occupied to care, burying his bespectacled nose in heavy books and spending hours with Sirius and Peter, sneaking the required materials from Slughorn's office, which, surprisingly, was courtesy of Peter Pettigrew. Remus felt alienated and sad at this sudden loss of contact and feared they may have either realised his secret or decided they didn't want to befriend someone dressed in 'rags'. 

"OK, we've got to decide what animal we want to be before the next step," Peter said quietly, checking the book. "I'm going to be stag," James grinned, pulling himself up to his full height, "They represent eligible bachelors, my mum said. I'm going stag all my life." Sirius snorted, "I think you used that phrase wrong, James. I, for one, am going to be a black dog." Peter giggled nervously, "Tha-that's the sign for the-the Grim, Sirius, surely--" 

"That's exactly why I'm turning into one. And the first person I'll visit is my dear old mum; she always did say I was going to be the death of her."

"What about you, Peter?" James slung an arm around the back of his chair. "I, er, I'm going to be a rat," he said carefully, eyes downcast. Sirius and James looked at him incredulously. "A rat? Are you crazy? Pete, you've got the opportunity of a lifetime here, you can be anything you want!"

"Yeah, like a bear! Bears are cool!"

"A lion! C'mon, for Gryffindor."

"I want to be something that can slip past people unnoticed," he said defensively, "And something you can't squash underfoot."

"All right then," Sirius grinned, "Wormtail."

Three more full moons came and went, each one renewing the fervor with which the boys transformed. They managed to gather information on werewolf transformations, and after spying on Remus from under the cloak a few times, they deduced that there was a tunnel guarded by the Whomping Willow, that led to the Shrieking Shack, which explain all the screams and roars. Finally, just before the exams (which weren't important, of course), they all managed to transform successfully into their animals of choice.