Rendevous in the kitchens

James Potter did not like Lily Evans. He didn't, because he'd changed and liking Lily was not change. He recalled with a twinge of self-loath his constant obsession with her during his early years. And when he has discovered his way with the ladies, his bafflement at her refusal. And now, he had finally grown and left her.

But now, she was friends with both Sirius and Remus, and developed a comfortable relationship with Peter as well (he'll like anyone at all, as long they treat him nicely). So, whenever he walked through the portrait hole, he usually found the red haired girl on an armchair, laughing along with Remus at an unruly boy's antics, as the whole of Gryffindor watched them in awe.

He dearly wished he could, too, laugh and talk with her, because, his deep, all-consuming feelings aside, he really did find her interesting. For one, she was incredibly funny and smart. And, well, she was really strong and didn't tolerate any crap from anyone (including him, he thought wryly). But alas, he was much too shy, and it puzzled him, navigating these unfamiliar waters.

However, he did have other things to occupy him; firstly, his relationship with Sirius had strengthened a lot, and he really was like a true brother to him. They pranced around the house, laughing and discussing pranks, as James' parents looked on fondly. One time, Sirius accidentally called Mr Potter, 'dad', and Mr Potter was unfazed as he smiled and started calling him 'boy', like he did James.

And now James was trying his hardest to keep the darkness surrounding his best friend from swallowing him up whole; news of a new, teenaged recruit in Voldemort's ranks was made obvious when they caught Regulus clutching his arm and wincing as he was withdrawn from school. Sirius had grieved over his innocent, sweet brother long enough that this new, dark man was someone he hated vehemently and did not recognise.

Secondly, he was trying his hardest to get his studies in order. Years of not paying attention were finally taking their toll, and he had to work twice as hard. Countless nights in the library under the cloak, a disgruntled Minerva explaining the concept of human transfiguration to him between classes and constant headaches showed his way on the right path. He also discovered that he was, in fact, a rather bright student, and if he put his mind to it, he could quite easily whip up a good ninety per cent.

The fruits of his labour showed as Flitwick squeaked with delight at his new score (an E), McGongall managed a hint of a smile (four Os in a row) and Slughorn looked at him with approval (an A). Finally, things were going right for James, and it kept him busy, so he didn't let his thought veer anywhere near the girl he had loved since first year.

***

"Hey, Evans," Marlene said, bumping her shoulder, "What're you doing tonight?"

Lily shrugged, "Transfiguration, probably, McGonagall's just about given up on me."

Marlene rolled her eyes, "No, you're not, you're coming with me to the kitchens." Lily sighed in defeat, "I suppose I don't have a say in this, do I?" Marlene ruffled her hair, "Nope! See you there at midnight."

As midnight approached, Lily decided she didn't want to be caught out of bed in her breezy nightgown, so she pulled on a Muggle shirt emblazoned with the words, 'ABBA' and a pair of sweatpants with little question marks on them. She sighed and seeing it was ten minutes to twelve, she set off to find the painting of the fruit basket.

Lily was a relatively good student, but she had had her share of sneaking into the kitchens for a bit of coffee or scones- for study purposes only, of course- but since most of her years at Hogwarts had been spent in Snape's company (who looked upon rule-breakers with distaste), she had not really been there for such a midnight rendezvous.

The moment she stepped through the secret green door in the pear, she immediately realised she had been brought there under false pretences.

"Hullo, there, Lily," Marlene said innocently, perched daintily on a small stool with a cup of tea in her hands, "Why don't you join us?"

Lily took in the number of people surround her clever best friend and felt a little light headed. There was Sirius, jam smeared across his upper lip like a moustache; Remus, talking animatedly with one of the house elves; Peter, stuffing his face with hot biscuits; Frank, with one arm around a red faced Alice; and the one she observed only through her periphery, James, sitting cross legged on the floor with his hair extremely dishelved.

Lily was, for some reason, drawn to the messy hair, more than she had ever noticed his perfectly styled haircuts before, for it showed that he cared little for his appearance now, which she found slightly- only slightly, mind you- handsome.

Lily plopped down on the floor, sitting cross-legged as well, waving off the many mats and stools carried to her by the more-than-helpful house-elves.

"What are you wearing, Evans?"

Lily looked defensively at her clothes and retorted, "Something much more suited to nighttime wanderings than a stupid dressing gown, thank you very much." She glared at Sirius who put his hands up, "Forgive me, your most ferocious majesty, I was simply wondering what in Merlin's pants is an Aba." Peter snorted and Remus clapped his friend solemnly on the back.

"I have an aunt named Abagail," Frank offered helpfully, "Though no one's ever called her Aba before.... hey, it's a great idea for a nickname!"

"That's funny, I had a fuzzy old cat called Abarnathy once; he was a mean old thing, that's for sure."

"Oh, that bloody thing ripped my jumper to shreds..."

Lily glared daggers at everyone who spoke and finally they took the hint and shut their mouths. "Well, if everyone is quite finished with the topic of names beginning with 'Aba', here's what my shirt really means; ABBA is a Muggle band, a bit like the Weird Sisters, but nicer."

"Better than the Weird Sisters," Sirius snorted, "You must be out of your mind, Evans."

James said curiously, "Is there anyway we can listen to them?"

Lily thought about it for a moment then shook her head, "You know all electric devices get all wonky here, it was in Hogwarts: A History." 

"Now, let's not get off-topic, everyone," Marlene said over a bout of argument that broke out between Remus and Lily over Hogwarts: A History of all things, "We waited for Lily here, but now we can begin, I believe."

"Begin with what?" Lily asked nervously as Sirius and Marlene spotted identical grins of mischief, Peter bit his cheek, Remus looked wary and James just looked at Lily with a bit of nervous anticipation. Frank and Alice announced they were going for a walk by the lake and bid everyone goodnight.

This was a night no one was ever going to forget.