Triwizard Tournament

"Oi, Lily!" Lily Evans was shaken out of her musings by a chubby girl who was clumsily attempting to set up the Gobstones board. "Yeah?" she said a little wistfully, her unfocused eyes trained on the passing greenery. "Look, you shouldn't be too upset--" 

"Alice, she's my sister," Lily's green eyes filled with tears. "Don't cry, Lily," she comforted her sadly, "You don't need people like them! If she can't accept you for the wonderful person you've become, then her loss!" Lily smiled a watery smile at her wise friend and searched for a bag of Bertie Bott's. 

After a few hours, the Hogwarts Express pulled up into Hogsmeade and Lily, along with four more fourth-years, hurriedly ducked into a carriage to escape from the heavy rainfall. Only when the carriage was set in motion did she realise who those other fourth-years were. 

"Hello, Evans," James said, his black hair longer than last year's. Lily huffed in irritation and tried to focus on the the little window between James and Sirius' broad shoulders. "Mate, I don't think she likes you anymore," Sirius said, chortling. "Nah, she loves me. Don't you, Evans?" Lily rolled her eyes with exasperation, "Don't annoy me, or I'll hex you, right here in this carriage." "Which hex would you use?" the quiet boy in the corner asked, his caramel glinting in the pale moonlight. "The one which would shrink his overly big head. It's a wonder your broomstick can support such a weight." "Noticed me out on the pitch, have you? Perhaps painted my name on your face and screamed yourself hoarse at one of my matches?" James smirked knowingly at Sirius. "No, you see, I'm not as stupid as Emmeline Vance. Oh, and if you're feeling flattered, you should know that she already fancies Marty Carpenter from Hufflepuff." 

Stepping out of the carriage after being subjected to a series of hoots and whistles, Lily made a beeline for Alice Fortescue, who was getting out of a carriage with her brother, laughing. "Alice," she raged, "You left me to share a carriage with those-- those idiots!" "Why, were you overcome with a need to snog one of them?" she asked half-sarcastically. "I did, in fact, snog someone. And wouldn't you know it, it was Potter! Oh, I just can't keep my hands to myself," Lily joked waspishly. "Just as I expected," James came up behind her, grinning. "I'm glad you feel the same way, Lils." She glared at him and grabbed Alice, pulling her up the steps in a huff. 

"Looks like Jamesie wants to snog a certain redhead," Sirius sang, putting an arm around his best friend, who was unashamedly staring after her. "Maybe I do," he said nonchalantly, "But the difference between wanting to snog someone and having snogged half of Gryffindor--" Even Remus couldn't suppress a smile as Sirius chased James with new-found determination.  

***

"To our newest additions, welcome! To our older students, welcome back! Before you all are befuddled with our marvellous feast, I have a few start of term notices," Dumbledore smiled, his half-moon spectacles perched precariously on his nose. 

"Firstly, Mr Filch has asked me to remind you that Fanged Frisbees have been banned as of last year, and anyone having trouble accepting that fact will be subject to detention. Secondly, we have a new addition to our staff, Rubeous Hagrid, who will be taking the position of gamekeeper." A large man seated at the teachers' tabled waved a dustbin lid-sized hand and smiled from under his bushy beard. 

"And now, for the exciting news," Dumbledore said, a glint in his eye. "As you all very well know, the Triwizard Tournament has been discontinued, due to many grotesque deaths and injuries. However, that is no reason for us to disband our union with the schools, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons. 

"Having forged an unbreakable bond over the years, we saw it fit to continue some of our Triwizard traditions, only without the painful tasks, such as the Yule Ball. Since it was I who suggested this experiment, the headmistress and headmaster of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang respectively, have decided that it will be Hogwarts that will host these events. So, sometime in August, we will have among us several students from each school. I hope you will make them feel welcome and establish a connection with them. New friendships and new allies were the primary goal of our challenges anyway. Now, let the feast begin!"

There was outbreak of murmurs and whispers after Dumbledore's speech, accompanied by excited chattering and general nervousness. Sirius and James, meanwhile, grinned at the endless possibilities the year held.