Assumptions

Now that the secret was out, the four boys were inseparable as ever. Remus,once again, found himself dazed at the love and attention he was being shown by his friends, and wondered if it was life's way of compensating for the scars on his face. James and Sirius jokingly came up with funny nicknames for each other, sneaking into the grounds with Peter to show off the complex magic they had somehow managed to pull off at the age of 14. James earned himself the name 'Prongs' when he pricked Peter in the bum with his 'prongs', and Sirius was mockingly called 'Padfoot' after a girl unwittingly crooned over his soft paws ("She didn't know it was you, stop being so smug about it," James told a very satisfied and confident Sirius). Peter was, of course, Wormtail, after the unfortunate incident when his choice of animal was discussed at great length. And so the boys revelled in their own little bubble, and after getting over the initial shock of their first full moon together, they spent every month supporting and encouraging their friend.

But it could hardly go unnoticed that the four troublemakers of Hogwarts went missing every month. Though Remus was used to people making fun of him and his clothes, he greatly underestimated the effect it would have on his friends. Ever since learning about his, er, problem, they all had been hyper-sensitive to his feelings. Which justified Nott and Mulciber ending up in the hospital wing after being hit by three different hexes at once after they made a snide comment about his scars. 

"Professor, I--" McGonagall sighed exasperatedly and gestured wordlessly for the three to get out of her office. She wondered how long it would be before Gryffindor's house points would count in negative. 

Severus, meanwhile, was growing increasingly jealous of the newfound attention the boys were receiving, mainly because of the fact that they were somehow insanely good at Transfiguration and managed to score full marks when he knew they hadn't studied. Lily was impassive as ever, and though they were still on good terms, they both felt the tension slowly mount and get ready to burst soon. Though Lily made it a point to ignore James everytime he opened his mouth, she couldn't ignore his very rude and frankly violent behaviour.

"Potter," she said disdainfully, one night, "You've got to stop hexing people, or I'll go to McGonagall." James smirked, carelessly twisting a strand of his overgrown hair between his fingers, his brown eyes boring into her intense green ones. 

"Why do you care? It's not like I'm doing anything to you."

"Well, I--"

"Evans," he drawled slowly, "I think we both know what you're doing." Lily blinked and surprise and asked mockingly, "What's that, Potter?" James sighed in a superior sort of way, "It's the last day before the holidays," Lily nodded, impatient, "So you're digging for an excuse to speak to me, right? It's all right, Evans, no need to be ashamed, it's good you finally accepted that--"

"Shut up for once," she scolded him, "And listen. I know you have the need to prove your worth by hexing second-years so they'll worship you, but it's gone on long enough and I'm sick of it. If you don't stop, I'll--"

"What, tell on me?" he sneered.

Lily turned purple with rage and said coldly, "You really are beyond help, Potter." 

James watched a little desperately as Lily turned on her heel and walked away from him, for what he feared might be the last time. He wished he hadn't said all that; but then again, something's got to be wrong with her, if she still hadn't fallen for him. She's just a prudish, annoying girl, he told himself firmly, and besides, she hangs out with Snivellus. She really was stupid.

***

"Oi, Moony, you got any chocolate?" Remus rolled his eyes at Sirius, "Too much chocolate isn't good for you. Besides, it's mine, so bugger off." Peter walked in through the portrait hole in the midst of this fast-escalating argument, and suddenly, everything went quiet. Because little Pete was with a girl

"Is that a--"

"No, I bet it's a hallucination--"

"Or some prank, I bet it's James--"

Peter blushed and quietly bid her goodbye, floating towards his curious friends. "So, Wormy," Sirius smiled, "What's new?" Remus snorted, which he managed to turn into a hacking cough. Peter blinked, breaking out of his reverie. "Nothing," he shrugged, smiling blissfully. "You look stupid," Remus informed him, gesturing to his expression. Sirius chuckled, "Kind of like James when he talks to Lily--" A devilish grin met Peter and he turned red as a Gryffindor scarf.  "She's just  friend; her name's Cara." Remus and Sirius shared a furtive look and whispered, "Pete, you fancy Caaaaara, don't you?" "We'll be quiet as mice, we promise," James suddenly appeared from behind, removing his cloak. "And I've got a bone to pick with you, Sirius." Remus once again rolled his eyes at his friend's pathetic puns. "What was that you said about Lily?" 

Sirius cocked an eyebrow, "Getting defensive, are we?" James laughed and awkwardly messed up his hair, something he was prone to do whenever the conversation was about Lily Evans. "No; in fact, I'm done with her," he said, trying to act indifferent and failing miserably. "Are you done with her or is she done with you?" Remus said, looking at him carefully. James shrugged and plunked down on a squashy armchair. "Doesn't matter; the point is, I am officially available." He eyed a sweet, clumsy girl as she read dutifully by the fire. Sirius clapped him on the back, "Keep it in your pants, mate. That's Alice; she's related to that bumbling, crazy Florian boy. The pudgy little boy, remember? You need to up your standards." James rolled his eyes and fell dramatically onto Peter's neck who patted him woefully, "I'll protect you from the big, bad wolf." Remus sat up indignantly and Sirius laughed a bark-like laugh.