The Three Schools

"Mr Potter, please, tuck your shirt in! And do something about that hair; this is not something to be taken lightly! Mr Black, will you be so kind as to accompany Mr Potter and do something about your hair as well? Ms Fortescue! Why are your shoes covered in mud? Ms McKinnon, what is that dreadful thing in your hair? Mr Longbottom--"

Professor McGonagall barked orders left and right, causing fourth-years to scurry away meekly to do her bidding. Even James and Sirius didn't have the nerve to disobey her, and returned from the lavatory looking somewhat presentable, though James' hair remained untidy.

"Now," McGonagall said, looking weary, "The students from Beauxbatons will be the first to arrive, and please, please do not reveal how little you have learnt these past four years." She looked pointedly at Sirius, James and Peter, who shuffled nervously. "We learnt loads!" Sirius yelled, winking at James. "Like what? How to explain to a girl why you were with another girl?" James laughed, his remark earning Sirius many a glare and painful jabs. "Oh yeah? I think you've had a lesson in the 'fancying Lily Evans' class, haven't you?" 

"That's quite enough," McGonagall snapped, quieting the hurried whispers that had started at the mention of a girl the famous Potter liked. "Mr Black, I expect you to be on your best behaviour for at least a few months. Mr Lupin," she sighed tiredly, "Can I expect you to keep these two in check?" Remus swallowed and nodded reluctantly. "Now that that's been cleared up--" 

"Look, there's something in the sky!"

"Looks like a giant Hippogriff. Or d'you reckon it's a dragon?"

"No, it's a carriage! Look, you idiots!"

"Ms Patil, there's no need for such language--"

"IT'S GOT GIANT HORSES! PETER, HAVE YOU GOT A CAMERA?"

A giant carriage being led by half a dozen horses, too big to be called normal, was slowly but surely moving in the direction of the courtyard. As it landed gracefully on the greens, the students barely noticed the coat of arms (two wands, crossed, with three stars coming out of each one) when the massive door swung open, to reveal a large lady.

"Dumbly-dorr," she purred, stepping out of the carriage in a mass of shimmery black. "Madam Maxime," Dumbledore greeted her, pecking her hand and hooking an arm in hers. "Ah, Dumbly-dorr, ze horses--" 

"Not to worry, Professor Merrylegs, our Care for Magical Creatures professor, is well-versed in the needs of such animals. He will take care of them." A stout little man with scars on his well-muscled arms spoke up, "Drink only single-malt whiskey, eh? Breathe fire?" Even after this declaration, Madam Maxime looked as if skeptical of Hogwarts' standard in staff. 

"Look, there's something in the lake!"

As everyone turned around to look at the disturbance in the dark water, the students from Beauxbatons got out of their carriages, unnoticed. As the huge Durmstrang ship came into view, many students 'oohed' and 'ahed', taking into account the cold metal, which was covered in frost. 

After the ship had docked and the headmaster ("Ah, Karkoff! How are you?" Dumbledore greeted a man with a wispy beard on his weak chin) and his students had dismounted, did everyone take in the descriptions. The students from Beauxbatons were clad in a flimsy blue material, causing them to shiver in the cool Britain autumn, while the boys from Durmstrang were in heavy furs and red uniform, looking excitedly at the school. 

***

After everyone had trooped inside and seated themselves in the Great Hall, did James finally say something, which was very unlike him. "Did you see those girls from Beauxbatons?" he asked hoarsely, earning a fervent nod from Sirius, who had his eyes trained on a brunette with pale skin.

"Welcome, to the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang! We hope our castle will be an adequate home to you for the next few months, as we set up a few events to help students from all three schools develop foreign connections, as we have been doing since before I was headmaster." Dumbledore chuckled, a twinkle in his eye, causing polite laughter to break out ("So zey make ze 'jokes' too," scoffed a Beauxbatons girl from the Ravenclaw table). "Now, we will begin with our infamous feast!"

As the food appeared on the tables, as was customary, the quartet noticed the new additions to the food. "What in Merlin's name..." James prodded at a funny black dish, that was runny and slimy and covered in some sort of sticky sauce. "I think that's squid or fish," Remus said matter-of-factly, examining the food with a scientific quality. Peter just avoided all the dishes he didn't know and simply snacked on some chicken.

"Eet iz octopus, actually. If you do not want eet, may we pleez take eet?" 

A fork slipped from Sirius' fingers and James' hand immediately went to his hair. "Hello, there," he said smoothly, "I'm James, James Potter. And you are?" Peter was choking on his chicken and Remus was helpfully thumping his back, while Sirius tried to smile at the girl charmingly. "I'm Camille Broucher. Pleasure," she smiled, shaking his hand. "And I'm Sirius Black," Sirius said hurriedly, which caused the girl to look at him disdainfully. "Wood you per'aps show me around ze castle tomorrow? I always get lost 'ere..." "Of course," James said, smiling a brilliant smile and messing up his hair again. "Uh, Meester Black, was eet?" "Yes?" Sirius said eagerly. "Could you pleez pass ze octopus?"