Gryffindor Captain

The days were slow and interesting for sixth-years. Enraptured in the various gossips around the school, no one realised when May turned into December and suddenly, Christmas stared at them in the face.

First-years were seen discreetly carrying ribbon-bound envelopes carrying invitations to exclusive parties hosted by a certain professor. These exclusive invites were much coveted by some, and much avoided by others. For instance, it was a big day in Head Boy Malfoy's life when the darling piece of paper arrived at the Slytherin table. Perhaps an even bigger day than when Narcissa Black agreed to wear the 'horrendous piece of Hippogruff excreta', as Sirius Black had so elegantly deemed the ring.

"James," Sirius said, sliding in next to his much exasperated best friend, "You've got to see this." He unfurled a piece of parchment with elegant script and pushed it under his nose. James sighed and pushed it away. "I told you, I'm not going." Sirius pouted, "It's the perfect opportunity, Jamesie. I'm not going  for the status, I'm going for the girls." He dropped his voice, "You know, Tanya Shutter is going to be there and I've heard that she's broken up with that idiot, McLaggen." 

James pushed his cereal away, "For the last time, he's not an idiot just because he's good at Quidditch." Sirius rolled his eyes, "You're good at Quidditch too, I'm not retracting my statement." 

James ran a hand through his hair and looked at his friend. "Pads, I don't have a problem with the party, it's just that..." He trailed off, not sure how to phrase it.

"I think it's really stupid," he said bluntly. "The whole idea of Slughorn picking 'promising students' and the whole, dumb Slug Club. I mean, do you really want to be in a club that had Malfoy and Nott in it?" Sirius tapped his chin. "Well, Nott was a bit of a git. See, but the thing is, he didn't pick Snivelly. Now I take that as a sign of impeccable taste."

"That's not even the whole point," James said, frustrated. "Peter and Remus didn't get an invitation. And we're in this together." Sirius sighed, "Well, now you've ruined it. You're so emotional, Prongs. No wonder old Lilykins isn't falling head-over-heels for you." James shot him a warning look and munched into his toast.

Ever since that disastrous night in the astronomy tower, a warmth had sprung up between them. He was finally her friend, a partner. Now they laughed together and she referred to him as James.... usually. He learnt of her ferocity, her deep insecurity of being left behind because she was just a muggle-born. He saw her dry wit and brilliance at potions. He finally saw how the world saw Lily Evans. 

Marlene and Sirius had taken to being referred as 'The Matchmakers', owing to the success of their dangerously brilliant plan to unite the soulmates, Evans and Potter. They usually annoyed everyone by revealing in loud voices the latest update in the 'Jily Evans-Potter love story'. This was particularly bad news as aforementioned Mr Black had recently been chosen to spectate the Quidditch games. A worthy example might be the game between the Gryffindors and Ravenclaw just before the holidays.

"All righty then, looks like we're all here to watch just how ravishing Professor Dumbledore looks in that hat. Did you get it at Madam Malkin's? Oh, it was a gift? From Professor McGonagall, I bet." Sirius was then interrupted by a pink-in-the-face Minerva McGonagall who gestured at the players walking onto the field.

"So, we've got the captain, Parker, from the Ravenclaw team looking just about menacing as a box of rabbits-- he sure can punch, though-- plus his girlfriend, Olivia Binns. My, my, what a story of star-crossed lovers. So it all started with her asking for a quill, didn't it, Parker?" After twenty minutes, during which Sirius had described every player on the team with great effort and personal anecdotes, it was time to nitpick the Gryffindor team.

"We've got the captain and chaser, my brilliant boy, James. I bet you're dying to know his relationship status, aren't you ladies?" A roar started from about two-thirds of the entire population there and Sirius chuckled. "Well, I'm glad to tell you his pathetic obsession with the lovely Miss Evans is over; thank goodness for that. Anyhow, the show must go on.... So, we've got Brian Denver, the Keeper-- I'm so sorry for the itching powder, I really am--, Tanya Shutter, the gorgeous, unbelievably beautiful Seeker-- Ah, McLaggen's a git, isn't he--, McLaggen himself, the other Chaser-- no comment-- and we have....." 

Another fifteen minutes went into this as McGonagall gave up trying to wrest the podium from his hands and stood with her hands on her hips. Truth be told, it was something she secretly enjoyed, these little tidbits of student gossip. Her lips curled into a smile as Sirius announced that Johnny Blues was, in fact, going out with Linda Bell, the Beater, contrary to popular opinion. She nodded to Dumbledore who sighed and nodded back; she was about to come into fifteen Galleons, courtesy of the Headmaster's overconfidence. 

The game finally began and Gryffindor was ahead by fifty points before Sirius finally noticed it had started. He spent the majority of the time discussing the Gryffindor Captain's traits and whether it was simply bad luck that he hadn't snogged more than three girls. 

"Now, my Jamesie's a gem," Sirius announced, "He's the only person I can bear in this place; except for Remus and Peter of course. My God, I can see old Moony's condescending glare right now in the stands. Hiya, Moony, lighten up. Anyway, Jamesie's a catch, I tell you, he can cook... i think... he can, er, breathe. But hey, he's the captain of Quidditch team. What does that tell you? He's buffed in all the right places--"

James shot him a smirk and did a loop on his broom, blowing McGonagall a kiss. McGonagall spoke into the mic, "Will all the players and spectators kindly focus on the game?"

So, to summrize, Gryffindor won, but not before a hundred and one stories about our very own Quidditch Captain, ranging from his heroic acts of bravery to the time he let out a girlish shriek because his cauldron caught fire (Sirius made several attempts at imitating the screech before a voice in the crowd-- probably Marlene-- told him he sounded like a Merman) had been revealed to the entire school.